What bar to get?

Got questions? We got answers....
layoutd

What bar to get?

Post by layoutd »

what type of bar would you recomend getting to replace my stock one. i love the bend and position of my current bars, but should i go with something newer? anyone know the specs on the stock bars, i think mine are stock, they may be renthals though. i just don't like the feel of any of the other bikes i have been on.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

The folks at ProTaper or Renthal can help match the KDX spec factory bar height and pull back, call em. One important note, when I bought my bars I was given a little suggestion, "If you ever plan on putting a steering dampener you will need a 40mm height cross bar on the standard bar". I am very glad I got what I did cuz I just put the steering dampener on and I did not have to change bars.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
mr_munt

Post by mr_munt »

This is the same question that I was going to ask. But I would also like to know, what does a stearing damper due, Meaning is it Helpful in all riding conditions? I'm old and slow and do most of my riding in what I consider tight woods.
Stop yell'n I'm going as fast as I can......
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

i'm not looking at it right now...but the RockyMtn catalog used to list the spec of oem bikes so you could match/change as you wished.

Surely you have a RockyMtn. catalog? Have 'em send you one if you don't.

Good idea on the crossbar. As long as you're buying a new set, might as well do some planning in the process.

re: what does a damper do

Damps wheel deflection...both sudden impact and oscillation (head shake).

You will be hard pressed to find anyone with one that will ever ride without one. I've never heard of anyone opine differently. Helpful in all? Yes.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

layoutd it depends on several things as to what bars you will like. i liked 7/8 cr-hi renthals on my 89 and my friends 04 (let him use an extra set i had) but i like the pro tapers on the kx a litttle more forward (in the clamps). i think renthal makes a stock bend bar for the kdx but i dont remember. keep the stock ones until you bend them. if they are steel and the ends are plugged then they are the stock style bars. is the crossbar welded in? renthals are bolt in. i think the stock kawa bend was like riding with my hands in my lap. i like my hands to be up and out forward. my bars are narrower though dont remember the width but you have to watch how narrow you cut your bars with different bends of bars and barkbusters. :partyman:
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

i think when i got the bike the guy said it had on renthal bars, but it ha a welded crossbar. the ends aren't plug, i have on moose bark busters though. they do not fell like they are in my lap, an XR i got in totally did. and a Wr i got on was just too wide. mine are steel, and appear to be straight for the most part. just need to sand a couple of rust spots and primer it up. bark busters are defintely bent though.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

So, do most riders with Scotts dampers (triple clamp mount) have fat bars or 7/8" bars with crossbar? I bent the crossbar to fit over my new Scotts damper and it looks kinda goofy, especially with the padding in place (which was a PITA to fit).

Those with fat bars, do you have a bar pad in place along with your damper? I'm not sure if the pad is really important or not; if it is I want to keep it, but again, I've got a goofy looking crossbar and if the fatbars are a cleaner install, maybe I'll go that direction.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

wanaride... if you think about it... how many times have you ever touched that pad while riding? I feel it is useless.... but that's me.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

if you want to use 7/8 bars you could get the renthal bars from scotts with the bowed crossbar. there should be pictures of both setups you mentioned in my gallery if you want to check out the bowed crossbar.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Inda, I'm with you on this. I've never touched that pad while riding, I was too busy flying over it! :shock:

I've got the crossbar bent and fastened in place nicely, I just asked 'cause I wanted to know how many other people had this kind of setup.

89kdx200rdr, my setup looks just like yours except the damper link arm is between the triple clamp and gas tank.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure