Just bought 01 kdx 220, piston? manual?

Got questions? We got answers....
Pilsener

Just bought 01 kdx 220, piston? manual?

Post by Pilsener »

Hi all,
Great site a ton of resources!
I just purchased a 01 220 from the original owner and the bike appears to be in very nice shape! He didn't ride the bike very much and it seems like he was very delegant with regards to keeping up on maintenance. However, the engine is stock, never been touched.
Should I be replacing the stock piston regardless of how the bike runs? Do these 220's really break the stock pistons that frequently? What else should I be checking, replacing before I start riding?
I'm also looking for a service manual, where is the best place to find a service manual other than the online manuals? They seem rather hard to find?
The bike runs great and I'd like to keep it that way!!
Thanks for the info!

Heath

PS I've been sitting in my garage beer in hand, taking long looks from every angle and I have to say these KDX's are great looking machines so nice to own one!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... replace that piston ASAP! Grease the steering, wheel and swingarm bearing also if you want to make sure she is well maintained.

The first thing you should do after the piston swap is to get the suspension set up for your weight and riding habits.

Welcome to the site.... your going to love that bike.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
OKVet

Post by OKVet »

repairmanual.com is a great resource for older MC manuals Just checked - they have the 2001 KDX pubs
Last edited by OKVet on 11:33 am Apr 29 2010, edited 2 times in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Look above to the top left and right..... Online manuals! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
OKVet

Post by OKVet »

Along the same subject but not exactly - I noticed that Wiseco lists pistons for '98 and up 220s that are all the same part # but none for the '97 220. Is there a difference for the '97 models? I was under the impression that there was no difference. Thanks
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Nope
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
heckler

Post by heckler »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Look above to the top left and right..... Online manuals! :wink:

what the difference between one year and lifetime? Can I not save the online manual to my computer or print it out?
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

You can print it but it is nice to have the lifetime and apparently you can sell your subscription with the bike if you decide to do so.

From and email upgrade offer they sent to me:

Why bother upgrading to a Lifetime Subscription?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Save money. Upgrading to lifetime access is less than the cost of a 1 Year subscription.

Your subscription will never expire again. Why risk letting your subscription run out when you might need it in the future?

Sell your bike? Sell your online manual with it just like you would an old school paper manual.

You'll be able to access your manual from anywhere and print pages as you need them for your personal use. Lose your printed copy or get it dirty?
Just print it out again. Traveling somewhere and don't have your manual with you - login and access it from your hotel room or campsite.

We are always making changes to our manuals - you'll always have the latest up to date version.

If you've utilized our FREE tech support you know you get one on one help from a live human being. A lifetime subscription will assure you can always call us for additional support.

Finally, upgrading to lifetime access will help support the Cyclepedia.com project - which we think is reason enough :-)