XR 400 springs

Got questions? We got answers....
jrnolan

XR 400 springs

Post by jrnolan »

Where is the best source of 96-99 XR400 .38kg springs to use in my 96 KDX?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Forums were always the best source. Thumpertalk is a good one to ask on.... or a OEM Honda site.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

ADV rider is one of the best forums, great advise a mature. Here's a link for the section for thumpers, you'll have to look for the XR400 thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Here's a link for Sonic Springs, they are a little cheaper then some of the other manufacturers.

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/ind ... 852613034b

Good luck...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

OEM is BEST! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jrnolan

Post by jrnolan »

I am putting an order together from MotoSport, they have the OEM springs in stock for $30 per spring. I will do the 1' schedule 40 pvc spacer mod, 5mm preload and motion pro bleeder valves but have some conflicting thoughts on oil wt. and volume. Any advice on a starting point would be a big help.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Maybe this should be in the suspension thread, sorry.

JR
Last edited by jrnolan on 02:03 pm Apr 07 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mix 5 and 10wt.... 7.5 seems to be just about right. You will need 2 qts anyway....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jrnolan

Post by jrnolan »

OK, that is what I needed to know, thank you. How about volume per leg?

JR
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

530ml approx. but is measured at 87mm + or - 2mm from the top of the collapsed fork leg.

This is measured with the forks completely collapsed and the rod pumped several time until there is no air in the forks. You will feel the resistance....

I should just say... refer to your manual. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jrnolan

Post by jrnolan »

Absolutely, I have the manual, I see the price of it as a cost of owning the bike. I also have the CP online. My KDX is down to the frame and I could not have done the work without this site, the kindness of the members who post and BOTH manuals.

JR
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

530ml approx. but is measured at 87mm + or - 2mm from the top of the collapsed fork leg.

Is this correct, I thought it was more like 120mm
1992 KDX 200; RB head; Fatty pipe; stock carb; Stock silencer

40 / 150 / CGK pos 3
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Usable range is 87 - 100mm

All straight from the manual.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Hi inda, i weigh 150lb with gears on and have a 2006 kdx 200 stock fork on my 92' kdx 200. is it advisable to also change my spring to a xr 400? any considerations, if so what is the best spring rate for me? and why is good to change to the xr 400 spring? thanks for any advise.
A true KDX customizer!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

150 is borderline for any stock KDX springs... depending on the terrain. More like 135lbs is perfect for stock springs.

XR springs should improve your suspension... I would first try a heavier fork oil.
Last edited by Indawoods on 09:46 pm Apr 07 2010, edited 2 times in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

Usable range is 87 - 100mm

All straight from the manual.
Is that for conventional '92 forks?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No... 95 and up conventionals.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Hi Inda, any recommendation on what spring rate to use, if i am switching to the xr400 spring? thanks for the help.
A true KDX customizer!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Xr400 96-99 : .38
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Thanks for the infor...
A true KDX customizer!!
jrnolan

Post by jrnolan »

I am about to order the XR 400 springs but want to make sure that they are .38 kg. The sales guy does not know and his OEM rep is out or something for a few days.

Are the stock OEM springs .38?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Depends on the year of XR400 they were for.... that's why I stated 96-99
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****