fork oil level

Got questions? We got answers....
pinitwot

fork oil level

Post by pinitwot »

ok recently i went out to my bike and found that the left fork seal was leaking pretty bad a nice sized puddle under it. so i tried the using the bissness card trick and seeing if there was any dirt in the seal. So after a couple days and riding some it has stoped i think.

So i would like to no if there is any way to check the fork oil level without taking the fork all the way apart. Also can i just take off the cap on the top to add some oil to it? and any idea of how much to add?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

remove the top cap, add oil. dunno what the stock level is, check the manual or check the suspension section.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

pull caps, remove springs, compress forks

Take a stick or ruler and stick it down each fork leg to see what the level is and if they are even

It's not rocket science
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:It's not rocket science
Nothing is rocket science accept rocket science, but it might as well be if you don't know how to do it. :rolleyes:
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

will everything just go back in easily after i take the springs out? and do can i just compress the forks when they are still in the bike?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... not exactly. The tubes should be spun on the caps instead of the other way around.... or else you will put bind on the springs causing an annoying clicking sound.

Ideally they should be off the bike....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Unless you have an E
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

ok alright once i take the caps off will the springs just pull right out?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes.... If the front end is not supported.... it will slam to the ground too! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

Recommended oil ht and preload for the conventional fork?