KDX/KX Rear Hub interchangeablility

Got questions? We got answers....
asg5265

KDX/KX Rear Hub interchangeablility

Post by asg5265 »

Okay, guys, here's a real good question for ya's... I'm doing a KX/KDX Hybrid and have a leftover KDX rear hub I'd like to adapt to my 2004 KX125, so that I'd have a spare wheel in case of flat during a race. Anybody have knowledge about this subject?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

my 02 kx wheel mounts on my 05 KDX last time I checked. dunno about the 04 though, just used the spacer specific for the bike. Have you tried swapping wheel?
There was not interference from the brakes
asg5265

Post by asg5265 »

Yeah, done some checking... the '04 bike has a 22mm axle, where the previous years were smaller. I guess I'm asking if anyone knows if the O.D. of the bearings are alike?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

look em up
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
asg5265

Post by asg5265 »

I'm not sure which or what "look-up" you're talking about... is that the usual "on-line micro-fiche" or are you refering to something else? I've heard about another that lists the "interchangeability",but can't remember the address.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
asg5265

Post by asg5265 »

Yep, this is just the ordinary OEM micro-fiche... been there, done that. Nothing special....
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

shows the same bearing used on both bikes though

least on the two I looked at :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
asg5265

Post by asg5265 »

Yeah, I hear ya. The 2004 kx rear hub uses 3 (yes) bearings, two on the sprocket side. I'm gonna try the bearing house tomorrow, thanks for the help.
hockeyboysomers

Post by hockeyboysomers »

When I tried to find bearings to swap a 2004 KDX hub to a 2003 KX hub, I was unsuccessful. The KX bearings are a bigger diameter, inner and outer dimensions, and a different width. I was trying to use the 18 inch KDX wheel on my 2003 KX hybrid. I think the KX changed to a 22mm axle in 2003. Before then the KX and the KDX had the same diameter axle. It might be possible to find bearings to make your KX wheel fit your KDX, but I don't think it will work the other way around. Dave