How can i tell if piston has been replaced?

Got questions? We got answers....
ricpdjrr

How can i tell if piston has been replaced?

Post by ricpdjrr »

I tried the search but could not find this question. I just bought a 04 220 and was wondering if there is any way to easily tell if it has a weisco piston. I am assuming not but just thought i would ask.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

See the lil oval with a W in it

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
ricpdjrr

Post by ricpdjrr »

Nice pic... thanks. That might save me some $ when i tear it down. I do not suppose there is any way to tell by looking through the exhaust port so i might not have to take it apart????
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No, not really. If you just bought it, take it apart. You need to know what you're starting out with anyway. If everything is fine, it'll only set you back a top end gasket kit on re-assembly. If something is not fine, best find out now before you get the bike 40 miles out in the woods.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

While your in there... at least replace the rings..... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ricpdjrr

Post by ricpdjrr »

Yup.... that all makes sense.... Thanks for the info and advice.
heckler

Post by heckler »

the Kawasaki service guy I talked to told me to replace my piston (KDX220) every 6 months or so. wow. I imagine he's working to prevent my stock piston from breaking.

What's the service replacement interval on a Wiseco? Once it's worn down?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Oh...every 5 to 6 YEARS! :wink:

Your KAW Service guy is on crack.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nah he's just trying to pay the bills, like the rest of us.

Inda's right, with a forged piston in there's you should not have to worry about it again for a very long time.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If your business can't be run on being truthful to your customers... you probably should close the doors.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:If your business can't be run on being truthful to your customers... you probably should close the doors.

:shock: Well, I sure wish congress would take your advice. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Agreed. It's tough times though.

Hey, while we're on the subject of pistons, and we have Wibbens great pic up there...

What do you guys think the difference will be from a piston with a little hole there for a transfer port, versus some of the newer designs that have a large window cut out of the intake side? My NOS wiseco looks exactly like Mr Wibbens, however a fresh new pro-lite has a larger cutout in that front skirt, as does a pro-x piston.

Ideas?