Found low end off idle problem

Got questions? We got answers....
ricpdjrr

Found low end off idle problem

Post by ricpdjrr »

I just picked up a 04 220 for my 14yr old son a few weeks ago and on the test ride the mid and upper range SEEMED great. It was slow off idle and could not lighten up the front end till mid range. I was hoping it was just a carb issue and the price was right. But after cleaning and trying a few different settings and after much reading here found that the kips can be the problem. sure enough took off the L/S large slotted cover and had no movement at any rpm. took of the R/S kips cover and found i could rotate the claw right off the gear and it was very free moving. Found the pin on the advancer shaft inside the clutch case was sheered off. The only remnants of the pin were very small metal bits in the bottom of the case. Apparently the outside of the clutch and the inside of the cover ground it to a pulp. There are scratches in both but the clutch seemed to work fine before and nothing looks to badly damaged. My plan is to just clean out all the pin residue, fix the pin and put her back together. Is there any thing else i should check while I have the case cover off? And has any one had one of these pins break while operating the bike or is it always from not supporting the shaft when loosening the nut on the claw? just wondering if and why the previous owner would have been messing with the kips.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the kips is usually damaged or broken while re-installing.I had a similar problem; mine probably broke a year after I installed the rb head, I did support the shaft but I guess is that it wasn't enough and it weakened the kips till it finally broke. It trashed the clutch basket and some other gear...
You'll enjoy the bike even more when the kips work :wink:
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

How did replacing the head affect the KIPS?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

sorry, i meant the cylinder when i replaced the piston (while the head was at RB).
Just replacing the head won't do anything to the kips. New gasket and good to go.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Change the piston on that 220 before it takes out the cylinder or worse.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220