Trouble disassembling E series KIPS

Got questions? We got answers....
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Trouble disassembling E series KIPS

Post by dfeckel »

Hey, guys,

Finally getting to the top-end part of my hybrid build, and I'm having trouble getting the main KIPS valve to dislodge from the front of the cylinder. Any good KIPS tips? I have the online manual, and it says to slide the main valve out a bit, but I just can't break it loose. It appears to be the only intact KIPS valve, so the last thing I want to do is bugger it up. Help?

Here's a pic from the manual of the part of the main valve that needs to slide forward. Mine won't.
David Eckel
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It comes out about as far as what you have there, and then you have to hold the two sub valves up and slide out the main rod from the RH side of the cylinder. Once the main rod is out you'll be able to pull the main valve the rest of the way out.

See the little line that is barely visible around the sleeve just past the cylinder? That line is the one you pull it out to before pulling out the main rod.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

My problem was that i just couldn't get the aluminum assembly to break loose from the cylinder. I managed to get it free by using a brass drift on the powervalve, coming in from the top of the cylinder. Did I jack up my powervalve? Doesn't look like it. However, after a bunch of carbon cleaning, it looks as if there is enough wear on the gear to justify buying a new one, anyway. Oh, well...Babbitts, here I come.
David Eckel
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Little heat always gets mine loosened up
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Now Bike Bandit says the Rod-Governor (the toothed pushrod) is no longer available. Anyone have a good place to check for OEM parts that would have this? Thanks!
David Eckel
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

try cheapcycleparts.com
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Try a member here, TopperHarley, he sells stuff on ebay @ gatewaytwostrokemx

Send him a pm, he often has the parts but not listed
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Thanks for the heads up on the other parts suppliers!
David Eckel
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've had good luck using service honda to get parts that bike bandit can't or won't get.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Nice thing about Ron Ayers. If they don't have it in stock, they can find out who does

That's how I got the input shaft needle bearing for my case, overnighted (thanks Carvr)
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))