Which pipe?

Got questions? We got answers....
chriszeee

Which pipe?

Post by chriszeee »

Hello all. I'm new to this site but not new to the world of KDX's. I just purchased my 4th KDX an 05 220 with less than 15 hrs on it and no mods to date.
I did not realize that FMF made 2 different pipes in the past. My 2000 kdx rocked. it had fmf pipe silencer, and reeds done to it and it performed very good. It had a strong pull all the way through. I loved that bike..but it left with the wife..
My next KDX was an 02 which was a bit of a basket case and it needed a pile of work.. it had a fmf pipe silencer and airbox mod. I also put a piston in it. This bike did not perform near what my 2000 did. It hit hard on the bottom with the mid range a little better than stock but the top end fell off fast. it made you have to use the low end of the bike and switch gears quick.
In saying this I am assuming the 2000 had the desert pipe and the 02 must have had the woods pipe.
What do you think?
Any feed back will help in my pipe decision for the latest purchase.

I do ride pretty much all conditions, single track, pits, logging roads hills.
Oh ya my first KDX was an 94 200. rode this bike for 6 years and it never let me down once.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Hard to beat the E series for power delivery.

Was your 2000 a 220 as well, or a 200? The 200 has a lot more to offer up top than the 220 ever will.

The REV pipe is the only way to go for the 220 btw, a woods pipe will kill what little top end it has.
chriszeee

Post by chriszeee »

They are all 220's
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

make sure you check the power valves to be sure none of them are stripped or broken, that will definitely have the bike falling flat on it's face much too soon. Assuming everything is in working order a REV pipe will really open it up on top. RB's carb and head mods will open it up even more.
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

+1 for the rev and rb carb and head mods...also, if you still have the stock piston get a weisco ASAP