Basic Trans Oil question

Got questions? We got answers....
ack

Basic Trans Oil question

Post by ack »

Reading the Online Repair Manual, it says
"Fill the transmission with .65 L of 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil."

I'm mildly shocked because I use Motorex 15W-50 in my other 2-stroke trans. I like the fact that 10W-30 is about 1/3 of the cost of the Motorex stuff.

Anyone have any brand/weight recommendations for an '05 KDX220?

Thanks,
Steve
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

What do we get? Like one of these every week or what? :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
ack

Post by ack »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:What do we get? Like one of these every week or what? :lol:
alright then, show me a link that answers my question.

I searched: "gear oil", "trans oil", "transmission oil", and did not find an answer to my question.

In the time it took you to write your complaint, you could have answered with "nope, any 10W30/40 will do"

Next time, don't reply.

Steve
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

But that's not the answer....

Oil is so different then when any KDX oil guide was written that you cannot go by the recommendations. The problem is that even 10/30 oil that does not say Friction Modifiers ...have it.

Anymore you should buy oil specifically for wet clutches. Allot of people use Rotella.... it is a diesel motor oil that does not have friction modifiers in it.... but use at you own risk. Everyone is looking for the cheap way out and it is getting harder and harder to do....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ack

Post by ack »

True. I really don't care about saving any money when it comes to oil. I'll use whatever is generally accepted as the best.

I just raised the flag because I tend to believe owner's manual.

Thanks for the info.
Steve
Steve
Raleigh, NC
'05 KDX 220, '00 KTM 200 MXC, '04 KLR 650, '03 WR450
Just learnin' and looking to have fun.
ack

Post by ack »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:What do we get? Like one of these every week or what? :lol:
Sorry, didn't read your disclaimer before I responded.
My bad.

Steve
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Some use ATF type F trans fluid. I used it for my last oil change but not sure if I will continue. I noticed O'rielley auto parts carried Lucas Oil 2 stroke trans oil and bought it for my son's KTM 50. It was cheaper than the oil from the moto shop too.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I don't think I'll ever switch from type f in my KDX. The clutch simply works better with type F in there than anything else I've run, and I've put damn near everything I can get my hands on in there.

For some of my other bikes they don't like the type F so much. My old F-11 prefers honda HP oil for whatever reason. Even though it looks/smells/feels like ATF, there must be something else in there. That old clutch will slip a bit with type F in it, but grabs just fine with the HP. With the KDX anything other than type F and the shifts feel notchy and the clutch feels grabby. Back to ATF and me and the bike are a happy couple again.

At any rate, type F will not hurt it, so you can run it for an oil change or two and see what you think of the clutch and shifting action. If you don't like, switch. No big deal. As long as you don't have the energy conserving additives in there damn near anything will work. Like Inda mentioned though, its' getting harder and harder to determine what does or does not have friction modifiers in it. It's a shame we can't trust labels these days. With a wet clutch specific transmission oil, you KNOW you're getting what u need and nothing you don't need. You're just paying two or three times as much for it!
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

juliend, what brand ATF type f do you use? Does it matter?
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Doesn't seem to make any difference as far as brand. The cheap stuff works fine.

I'm really anal about changing oil anyway. Even using expensive stuff I won't use it more than a couple long rides. Wet clutches dump a lot of contaminates into the oil, so IMO it's not wise to run it for very long regardless of what oil you use.

It may be important to note that the condition of my clutch is considerably less than perfect. Both the basket and hub are notched. I'm sure my clutch behaves quite a bit different than a clutch in proper condition. The ATF definitely feels better to me in this particular bike. You may or may not have the same results with it.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

After trying some of the more expensive gear box oils I also switched to Type F. It doesn't seem to matter what brand and I use whatever I can find on the shelf. IMO it really smoothes out the shifting and the clutch engagement feels more solid.

Where I differ from Juliend is that I don't change it nearly as often. I normally ride two to four times a week. I just can't see my use is anywhere near as tough on the fluid as 50k miles in an old Ford auto tranny being powered by a V8 engine in a 3500+ pound car. For that reason, I will change it out every two to four weeks depending on weather and riding conditions and I haven't noticed any drop off in performance. I'm sure I could even go longer with no problems but the Type F is cheap. You can double the number of oil changes compared to normal gear box oil and still come out ahead $$$ wise. This really appeals to my cheap side! :mrgreen:

Ofcourse, this is all IMO and YMMV.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
danfree

Post by danfree »

Two of the reasons I chose to ride a KDX was this site (KDXrider.net) and Jeff Fredette. The manual says .65 liters of 10W-40, Jeff says put a full quart of Golden Spectro 80W gear oil (80 W gear oil is not the same as SAE 80 W motor oil). That's what I do, and I like it. Maybe ATF lube works well for some. I think racers like it for reducing friction and such, but they probably change it after every ride. I change the gear box fluid twice a year. I have had no problems in the last 3 years. Is it the best? I doubt it, but it is good enough for me. Just find something you like and is easy to find. If you are going to use a 10W-40 oil, then by all means get one specifically for motorcylces. If I ever change, I would probably use the same oil I use in my street bike. i.e. Motul mineral/ synthetic blend.
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

I use the cheapest 10-40 motorcycle oil on the shop shelf (used to be Lucas, now Castrol). Going to try the Type F on the next change though.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Anyone having trouble finding neutral when using ATF?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:Anyone having trouble finding neutral when using ATF?
Quite the opposite in my experience. I seem to be able to hit it a lot easier now for some reason. I don't know why there would be a difference but there is.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

Tomorrow, I'm going to try equal parts ATF, 80 wt gear oil, Mobil 1 synth and cooking oil and see how that works out.
1992 KDX 200; RB head; Fatty pipe; stock carb; Stock silencer

40 / 150 / CGK pos 3
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:Anyone having trouble finding neutral when using ATF?
Will soon find out.
Bout the only reliable way I can find neutral now, is to desperatly need first while going up a really steep hill. :wink:
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

me too, I seem to hit neutral while downshifting at the worst time. I also get some false neutrals shifting from 1st to 2nd, but t's usually later in the day when I get tired, so I'm sure it's mostly me. I use honda hp trans oil, and I considering giving the ATF type F a try.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I've tried it. A couple different times

It's ok for a couple rides then it seems to get real notchy
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

I've only ridden this bike once since i bought it over the winter and it was about 36 degrees out. I haven't even jetted the bike. The shop i bought it from said they changed the oil so I didn't. The one thing I noticed was I had trouble hitting neutral. In fact it felt like i was having trouble getting through most of the gears compared to my Honda XR.

I think i'll start with the ATF for now and change it between rides to see if it helps.
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad