opinion on bottom end bearings and seals

Got questions? We got answers....
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

opinion on bottom end bearings and seals

Post by BobbyZ »

I'm redoing my old 93 e series from the bottom up and figured I'd ask for your thoughts on aftermarket bearings and seals.Is it ok to use them or should I just stick with oem?I'm not really concerned about the money aspect as I'm more or less concerned with the quality as I'd hate to have to reopen the bottom end anytime soon.Oh and if it matters its far from stock,it has a old frp port job,2mm over reeds and a pipe.........and thanks to this place she is also getting a RB high cr head and carb :supz:

Thanks again guys
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I just replaced all the bearings and seals on my '92

I have a friend that used to work for Mcguire Bearings, he gets them at cost

We replaced all, the bearings and seals for under $50 except for the input shaft needle bearing, it's a Kawi only part
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

buy OEM or good aftermarket seals, and have the bearings matched up at NAPA or your local buddy who has a shop if you are lucky enough to have one of those friends! You can get higher quality bearings cheaper that way, If not, aftermarket are usually fine, although some may be cheap chinese crap, and OEM are definitely fine.

Might as well replace every bearing you can find while you're at it. Sucks to have to tear down in a few months after a rebuild for some tranny bearing you never thought about when doing the bottom end. Some of the needle bearings you're better off just forking over for OEM, as they can be pretty hard to match up.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

BTW I was told the mark up on bearings is 400%

:shock:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

If it were me, I'd just go with OEM.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
tommie d

Post by tommie d »

I'm with Mr. Wibbens, I go to my local bearing supply house to get all my bearings for all my bikes and projects. I don't get a discount but I go to the same guy every time because he know's I want a quality bearing.