radiator reserve tank

Got questions? We got answers....
JD

radiator reserve tank

Post by JD »

What is the general opinion on removing the overflow tank on the '95 and later 200's? I understand the 220 can have boil over issues, but the 200's normally don't. It seems like it's location directly behind the radiator would cut down on airflow.

I intend to install some Devol guards so I'm trying to maximize airflow effeciency.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well JD... mine has never seen a drop of water... your probably pretty safe!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
JD

Post by JD »

That's what I figured. I haven't seen any real change in the coolant level there. I think I'll remove it before my next ride and see if there is any drop in the radiator level.
'04 200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I've had mine off for over 2yrs and it is yet to boil over. I ran the overflow hose (Ski's idea I think) so if it over heated it would spit onto the header and hopefully I would smell it. It has never even left a drop so I'm sure you will be fine. I have run it in snotty hills in 35 degree (C) weather and it still didnt lose any coolant. Hope it helps abit. Cheers Trev

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KAY DEE EXER wrote:I've had mine off for over 2yrs and it is yet to boil over.
:mrgreen: Wait a minute. Until this past weekend, you have not ridden yours in 1.5 years due to injury. That is almost as bad as me saying I have NEVER had any coolant to boil out on my '87. :mrgreen:

Cough (RIDE REPORT) Cough
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:razz: Sorry just to clarify that'd be the 2yrs prior to my hiatus. :wink: Ride report in General Discussion, well at least it will be soon.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If you've never boiled over I think you need to take a ride up here:

Goldenstairs, Prospect OHV

Mine sounded like a percolator!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Guess what? I have an opinion on the matter!!

I went through what most KDX'ers do when I first got mine...'Where'd all my coolant go?' 'cuz the rez was always empty.

So, why bother with it? Take it off to improve air-flow!

Didn't work that way. While the rez indeed was empty due to the jostling, bumping, upside-downedness of dirtbiking (well, the way I ride anyway), it did in fact have a purpose. When the bike did get hot enough to blow past the first cap seal, the coolant did stay in the rez long enough for the engine to suck it back in when it cooled down.

I realized that when, after removing the rez I was constantly having to add coolant after a ride. I put the rez back on. Coolant stays at the same level.

Golden Stair is a fun ride! YeeHAw!! Makes me want to pack up and go! (Oh..it's one of the tracks that likely isn't open by first part of July. Could you tell? It's not 'up' or anything....;) ) Heck!! It's still got TREES!!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!