Water pump seal failure help

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Water pump seal failure help

Post by SS109 »

Well, I guess I have had the dreaded water pump seal failure on my '90. I have coolant in the gear box and a combo coolant/gear oil coming out the vent into the air filter box. Yeah, me. :sad:

Anyways, after doing some research here and looking at the manual, it looks like I need the following parts...

seal(s?)
bearing
water pump cover gasket
side cover gasket

Is this right? Also, I read that I could use the '91+ dual seal setup with all the other '90 parts. Is that correct?

I'm really hoping I don't need to replace the shaft (haven't torn it down yet) as that thing is $56 by itself! If someone knows where to get it cheaper please let me know.

As always, any help is appreciated.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yes, use the 2 seals from the 91+ with the rest of your 90 bits. Teh bearing bearings probably could use replacing since you'll be in there anyway. Sounds like your parts list is pretty complete. No worries, it's a really easy job.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

I had the same problem and i just replaced the mechanical seal that about it. the shaft and bearing are reused and now last me 7 years since. gasket are a must to replace.
A true KDX customizer!!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Good deal then. Thanks for the confirmation. As for the bearing, might as well replace it while I'm already in there. It is a 20 year old bike afterall!
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, got it all apart yesterday. Looks like I'm going to have to replace the shaft as well. :sad: Oh well, Service Honda has the shaft for $38. Hopefully the parts will get here soon!

BTW, everything else looks real good. I couldn't see any noticeable grooves on my clutch basket or anything else bad.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Well that's good. My basket is grooved to hell. Still works though, at least for now. It definitely drags a bit when cold, but that's the only ill side effect i've noticed. I'm holding out on filing it smooth again as long as I can, since that will only last a little while and then it's forking over serious cash for another basket. I imagine filing them more than once would be a very bad idea.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I got it all back together and all seems well with the waterpump. More of a pain than I thought it would be. The inner bearing didn't want to let go of the case and the new outer bearing had to be pressed in where the old one just came right out. Eh, it is done and working so I'm happy I can ride again.

Now if I could just get the damn vent tube to quit pumping gear oil into the airbox then life would be all good.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Crank seals?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

If he thought the water pump seal was a pain, he'll laugh at that after doing the crank seals. :wink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Crank seals?
That is what I'm afraid of. If I have to go into it that far then I might as well do a complete rebuild IMO. Well, riding season is just about done here in Southern AZ so maybe I'll do it anyways. The bike is 20 years old and I'm sure it wasn't maintained by previous owners.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Pull the stator cover and check for oil there. Usually the LH bearing/seal fails first due to the weight of the flywheel. There would be telltale signs of old fuel mix there. Also if your transmission oil smells of gas, that's a pretty sure sign. Or if the exhaust smells like tranny oil, another sign.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

So, about how much is rebuilding the bottom end going to cost me if I do the work? I'll send the crank off to RB but everything else I should be able to handle. I've done several complete auto rebuilds and a few top ends on my old RD's so I think I should be capable.

Also, what special tools will I need?
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Gonna need a case splitter. I ended up borrowing one from a local guy, who answered an ad on Facebook that I started. I also had an ad on Craigslist asking to borrow the use of a splitter, 3 more people answered that ad

Whatever you do DO NOT PRY IT OPEN!!

Cost just depends on where you get your bearings and seals

Bike shop is gonna cost a lot more than a bearing supply house

I have a buddy that got all my bearings at cost, so it only ran me about $50
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks for the info and I promise I will NOT pry it open!

Tucson pretty much sucks for doing just about anything other than riding. I probably would have to drive up to Phoenix to find an bearing supply shop. I will probably be using Service Honda to get all my bearing as they have had the best prices, so far, on OEM parts. If you guys have a better place please let me know.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

You'll need a flywheel puller, a way to get the case back together, like a press or crank installer tool, and maybe a clutch holder tool. I don't know for sure if the KDX needs a clutch holder or not, but the YZ did. You might be able to use a strap wrench. I also use a piece of aluminum bar stock at times to jam the primary in order to loosen some things. The YZ used 3-bond between the case halves. It's really so simple even a Wookie could do it, just make sure your tranny shafts are lined up and going into their sleeves before squishing it all together. Check all your tranny bearings though, especially since yours had water in the oil.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220