Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Got questions? We got answers....
AST236

Post by AST236 »

I bought a 2000 model 220 from the original owner for $900 less than a month ago. It's a little rough around the edges but came with FMF pipe and silencer and runs great.
tommie d

Post by tommie d »

>|<>QBB<
AST236 wrote:I bought a 2000 model 220 from the original owner for $900 less than a month ago. It's a little rough around the edges but came with FMF pipe and silencer and runs great.
Sounds like you got a great deal. Last few days I have seen the price of a few of them come down but still right around book value. Then you get the ones made of Gold. Like this one. http://nanaimo.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1655245626.html
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

I am in Overland Park Kansas and we have two KDX's for sale. Both are 2004 one is a 200 and one is a 220. Asking 1800.00 or so for each one but would entertain offers. If you are interested let me know.
2000 KDX 220
chrisg
Supporting Member

Post by chrisg »

You guys in the states have wicked prices. In Canada, expect to pay 40% more for the same bike. Sucks to be us.

Under a $1000 for a good working e-series KDX? This is what I would do. I'd buy two and leave one in the rocky mountains, and the other on the East Coast. Maybe a third one down south somewhere. And just take a little holiday whenever a seat sale came up.
AST236

Post by AST236 »

>|<>QBB<
chrisg wrote:You guys in the states have wicked prices. In Canada, expect to pay 40% more for the same bike. Sucks to be us.

Under a $1000 for a good working e-series KDX? This is what I would do. I'd buy two and leave one in the rocky mountains, and the other on the East Coast. Maybe a third one down south somewhere. And just take a little holiday whenever a seat sale came up.
Cant help you in the rockies or the east coast, but if you ever make it to Alabama i'll loan you mine. See, just saved you $1000.
chrisg
Supporting Member

Post by chrisg »

Sweet! We need to set up a network.
Biggus 1

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by Biggus 1 »

New to the forum, just found this old thread. Been looking for a clean H series KDX200 and stumbled across an '03 with 8 miles. It's perfect, brand new, been sitting in a heated garage and recently woken up by the selling dealer. The seller was askiking $3000, after some negotiation, he's down to $2300. I'm firm at $2000 as I feel as soon as it's got a few hundred miles on it, she's only worth 1200-1800. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Great forum BTW!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by diymirage »

all depends on where you are located
the exact same bike can bring in 1200 in one state and 2500 in the other

regardless of where you are though, talking a dealer down 700 dollar (or 23%) is a lot allready
i doubt he would care to go any lower than 2300

but to be fair, most of us (if we ever do sell our KDXs) will sell it for close to what we paid for it, the KDX hardly depreciates at all, and the fact that they dont make them anymore only plays into that
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Biggus 1

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by Biggus 1 »

I'm in Maine. From what I've seen, quite a few KDX's were sold that have had very little use. It's a private sale, original owner, bought and never used.

I'd give him the 2300 if I thought it would hold its value but the reality is after a few months of use, it's just another 10 yr old dirtbike, worth a grand less than paid. -Although I really like the little KDX's, I have not followed their values at all. Is there really a demand for them, so much that one would pay more for an older KDX than a much newer modern ride? -Up here a clean '04-'07 KTM 200 can be found for around 2k

Thanks for the input!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

it looks like the H models are few and far in between in your neck of the woods
and they ones i did see (ran a quick CL search) were pretty decently priced

still, you are basically looking at a brand new machine
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by rbates9 »

When buying a KDX it should be because you want a KDX. They are great bikes with a following, but come resale time you will have to wait till the following finds you. They are under estimated by so many that selling one can be a bit tricky. I have seen a few pretty good bikes at a good price sit for sale for ever.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by B737driver »

It is what it is. KDX is a great reliable bike. If your leaning toward an orange bike, then go for it. A great ride until something breaks. Then get your wallet out be prepared. Not gonna find a KTM that hasn't been ragged out for 2 grand or less.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by B737driver »

It is what it is. KDX is a great reliable bike. If your leaning toward an orange bike, then go for it. A great ride until something breaks. Then get your wallet out be prepared. Not gonna find a KTM that hasn't been ragged out for 2 grand or less.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by zomby woof »

rbates9 wrote:They are under estimated by so many that selling one can be a bit tricky. I have seen a few pretty good bikes at a good price sit for sale for ever.
I don't think they're underestimated. Most people understand what they are, but it's not a bike or everyone. It's not a race bike, and it's not a trail bike. It's something in between and that's an awkward fit for most people.

My old one is up for sale :bravo:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z430132970

He's dropped it to $2400 since.
Ontario, Canada
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by Dekon »

You know what I like about the KDX, the following it has. I have an '89 and have no problem getting just about any part I need for it. To me, that is what is important.
Biggus 1

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by Biggus 1 »

B737driver wrote:It is what it is. KDX is a great reliable bike. If your leaning toward an orange bike, then go for it. A great ride until something breaks. Then get your wallet out be prepared. Not gonna find a KTM that hasn't been ragged out for 2 grand or less.
I gotta confess, I'm an Orange bleeder and have been for many years. On my 26th KTM in over 40 yrs of riding dirt. The most current is an '09 300XC-W and love it. Never had a KDX or ridden one.

The 'problem' started when a friend left his rather tired '01 KDX200 at my house after he moved away. Like most dirt freaks, I could not stand to look at this somewhat clapped out ride without 'helping' it a bit. One afternoon, the sloppy wheel bearings got replaced. Another afternoon, the worn pads got replaced along with a decent used M59 front tire. As I had time, the little KDX got a fair amount of much needed love. Then I started to ride it....and ride it and ride some more and fell love with it!

The KDX has been a bit of a time warp to me as the little 200 is just so much fun to throw a leg over. Nice low seat hight. Enough torque to climb some decent hills and so quiet I can sneak around the neighborhood trails without annoying anyone. It reminds me of the fun we had as kids on DT Yamaha's but with much better suspension and brakes. I think I've been missing something here, a nice simple little ride that is easy to maintain and ride whenever I feel the need! Gotta get me a little green bike!

-Great resource here, to glad to have found it!

Happy Thanksgiving Peeps!

Kurt in Maine
Racing220

Post by Racing220 »

I paid 650$ for mine haha
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by SS109 »

zomby woof wrote:...It's not a race bike, and it's not a trail bike...
To me that sentence makes absolutely no sense. It does both very well. The KDX was specifically designed to be raced in the once popular 200cc class in enduro racing and, even though not directly meant to be a trail bike, it works great for it as well.

Anyways, around my neck of the woods.. er... desert pricing right now seems to be anywhere from $500 or so up to about $1300 depending on condition.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by zomby woof »

It may have been a (somewhat dated) race bike at one time, but it's hardly in the same league as a modern race bike, and for someone looking for a playbike/trail bike, I bet the very capable 2 stroke motor of the KDX is probably a little intimidating. It's somewhere in between.
Ontario, Canada