Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by rbates9 »

A 200 is a good starter bike. The power delivery is much smoother then a 125 and more user friendly then a 250. But still has plenty of power so your not looking for a new bike after the first season as your skills improve.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by kawagumby »

Once again, zomby wolf, I must disagree with you. A properly modified KDX is every bit a race bike as many of the current models - for some people. If you're a young, exprienced hard-riding racer, the KDX will not likely provide the extra hit you want, true...but most racers are looking for ease of control, consistency, staying alert, no arm pump, the endurance to stay aggressive throughout the race, etc. .... that's what gets the best final results for most of us.
The bikes I have owned lately, and sold, include an 08 WR250F with YZ cam and exhaust and modified suspension. It had about the same HP as a modded KDX but heavier chassis make it inferior for tight enduro work.
2001 KX250, modified suspension, reeds, pipe, flywheel weight, etc. - what can I say, the short ratio tranny holds it back for enduro work and the KDX still is easier to ride harder, longer...in tight stuff. (This was my third KX, so I know how to set them up - used to race them a lot - mostly desert - I'd use the KDX for tight).
2003 YZ250F (MX'r) modded suspension, tallish, great HP, light but not very easy to ride long when constantly on the gas...tires you out more than a KDX - mostly due to ergo issues for me.
04 CRF250X...just a pig, all around IMO...even with engine mods. I quit riding for a year after this Honda, I was so bored with what it did. Nothing bad, nothing good, and comparatively heavy.

The current WR250F model is the same bike as the one I had, so essentially is the CRF250X, both are raced extensively by amateurs and A levels alike (modded, of course). Both have engines in the the mid thirties HP ranges...like a modded KDX. The KDX outshines both for me...big time.

So, if you are good at setting up suspensions (USD fronts especially), know how to get the most from the engine, and race tight stuff, this short wheel-based bike is still better than some of the newer stuff in my ever-so-humble experience. I ride technical trails on my KDX that most guys on newer bikes avoid - and I'm an old dude.

I have never ridden a better trail bike (for woods) than the KDX, and I've ridden about every bike out there at one time or another - a properly jetted KDX does not have an intimidating hit.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by zomby woof »

Anything can be made competitive with enough modification, but the last gen KDX was already dated (and too heavy by a lot) when it came out in 95.
Ontario, Canada
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Are KDX's worth the $$$$

Post by newbbewb »

any liquid cooled KDX is a great buy. For me, it has been a great beginner bike, and with inexpensive and easily available mods/upkeep has continued to haul more ass. up anything. just hang on.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com