Sticky sucky rear brake

Got questions? We got answers....
chrisg
Supporting Member

Sticky sucky rear brake

Post by chrisg »

Day two investigating my new to me 1989 KDX200.

Front brakes okay. Rear brakes...hopeless. Previous owner said he put new pads in. The other thing is that they rub A LOT. I have a service manual, but I was wondering if someone could perhaps steer me in a direction. Bleeding would help the spongy, but would it help the grabby?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

replace the holding pins.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Replacing the pins might fix it, but the piston is supposed to pull back a little bit when you release the pedal. If they don't it causes the pads to drag and overheat. Check the caliper for tired seals or rusty piston.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

when you check the seals, DO NOT soak in WD40 or similar to clean them...they swell, ask me how I know :wink:
chrisg
Supporting Member

Post by chrisg »

Thanks folks.
chrisg
Supporting Member

Post by chrisg »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:Replacing the pins might fix it, but the piston is supposed to pull back a little bit when you release the pedal. If they don't it causes the pads to drag and overheat. Check the caliper for tired seals or rusty piston.
Pulled the piston and it had a little crust on it, not rust. Cleaned it and the seals and popped it back in. Worked like a charm, (well, so far). The piston just didn't want to retreat. Although air in the lines might have hurt the suction power of the hydraulics as well.