Accessory Plug for the KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
raisedinal

Accessory Plug for the KDX

Post by raisedinal »

Hey ya'll I saw some mention of rewound stators but was wondering if anyone has installed an accessory plug (or hard wired a 12V accessory)?

I'm tempted to give it a go but thought I'd ask first before starting off blindly.

1) I understand that it'd need a regulator/rectifier to convert DC?
2) I won't add much of a battery...just one to stabilize the Current so it doesn't fluctuate with the bike RPM's. The GPS has Batteries so if the bike dies it won't loose power. I'd just like external power for most of the time.
3) I hope the stock stator would be enough just running a small 5 v GPS with the bike Headlight off. (won't be doing much exploring at night and need the gps too. If so I can use the GPS batteries for the few times it would occur)

ANy thoughts or suggestions? like where to tie into the KDX electrical or anything I'm forgetting?

I'm no electrical expert...this is what I'm expecting from what my XR650R required (but already had on it so no adding parts just tapped a 12v source)

Thanks in advance all!
2002 KDX220, Wiseco piston, RB Head and Carb, FMF Rev, 0.41 fork springs in stock forks.
raisedinal

Post by raisedinal »

Maybe I'd get a rewound stator if they are still available anyway. (I rewound one on another bike....can I rewind mine?)
2002 KDX220, Wiseco piston, RB Head and Carb, FMF Rev, 0.41 fork springs in stock forks.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There is allot lost during rectification between AC and DC. I don't know what accesories you are wanting to run but I would look for an alternative.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
raisedinal

Post by raisedinal »

its a Garmin GPS, I haven't received it yet so I'm contacting Garmin Support for its exact requirements but I think its 5v (because its a min-usb power input and thats universally 5v) and I imagine its <1 amp draw max because it normally runs on 2 AA's. I'd rather hard wire in a plug and not really a universal 12v outlet.

I usually bring up these questions to my Electrical Engineer friend but I was hoping someone had done this before, before bother him with it. I'm always calling and asking him things and He just built me a circuit board which stepped down variable voltages for output for my helmet camera so I can use my large Lithium R/C Plane batteries and run for hours and be able to recharge yet still cut off at a set voltage so my Batteries aren't drained too low to be recharged. So I don't want to become one of those friends.

Does the extra information help my situation?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What's his number? :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "