Whole front end or just new springs?

Got questions? We got answers....
sportsgirl017

Whole front end or just new springs?

Post by sportsgirl017 »

So obviously the front forks on the KDX are grossly undermanufactured. And it seems like the concensus is to rebuild the front end.... however if you can just buy properly rated springs (racetech 109$) wouldn't that be enough? Trying to buy all my parts now so I'm ready to mod and ride ASAP once back in the states.

:boogie:
Laugh... and the world laughs with you. Laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they leave you alone.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's probably enough if you just trail ride and are not agressive at all on the trails... a family rider.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Stockers properly sprung work good for me

Seemed to work fine for Fredette all those years too :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

When you are factory sponsored.... you bet ya! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:It's probably enough if you just trail ride and are not agressive at all on the trails... a family rider.
Good thing I'm just a family rider then :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your rare.... I will give you that.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My suspension is better than it has ever been

I'm loving it!
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
sportsgirl017

Post by sportsgirl017 »

So basically the whole front forks are crap? Definitely not just a family rider......
Laugh... and the world laughs with you. Laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they leave you alone.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The stock forks with the right springs and oil work pretty good.
A carefull revalve front and rear will make the suspension pretty darn good.

When I put a KX front end on, it was SO much better, can't really compare.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
sportsgirl017

Post by sportsgirl017 »

Thanks Karl for the objective response.... think I will do springs for now. Save the KX front for a off season down the road.

So tell me how great the RB mod really is, from what I hear it's basically amazing....

I'm beginning to see a mass overhaul in my future :rolleyes:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

So tell me how great the RB mod really is, from what I hear it's basically amazing....

I've always ran the bigger and better 220 motor.

When I had a RBD modded motor in a Kwasaki frame with a KX front end it was great. Just my impression, but I think the head mod did more for the motor than the carb work. For $45 it is certainly the most bang for the buck.
With the carb done, head mod, and a pipe the motor ripped. Great tourque down low, more overrev than I could use in that chassis.

After I moved the motor to a CR chassis I used a CR pipe. I think the motor works better than it did in the KDX frame, obviously getting lucky with the pipe. I've swapped with guys on KTM and GasGas 200's and I got more motor. Less overrev, but more motor. For woods riding it is perfect for me.
3+ years on that build and still going strong.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
AST236

Post by AST236 »

KarlP,

What part of Alabama? I"m halfway between Montgomery and Mobile. Just picked up a 2000 220.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Theodore, 20 minutes West of Mobile.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
AST236

Post by AST236 »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Theodore, 20 minutes West of Mobile.
Sweet! I"m in Evergreen, 100 north of Mobile. Just got my first KDX. First two stroke since high school (30 years ago). Where do you ride? Have you tried the track/trails in Brewton?

fhigginbotham@evergreenmedical.org
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I rode a harescramble last year in Brewton. It was fun and well run.

Funny thing. They did a dead engine start and you had to run over from behind the next row. I did not know this until we got to the line. Most people have a kickstand or brought one of those axle stands.

I laid my bike down on the ground. Fired right up and off we went!
Got a lot of funny looks.

If you have any plans to get into the Mobile area, get in touch. We have some good riding here.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
AST236

Post by AST236 »

I'll do that. I hope to get to Brewton in the next few weeks and check them out. It's only about 30 minutes from my house. How are the trails? Did you ride the track?

If you don't mind, I may lean on you as I"m learning this new bike. From what I've read, I'm on borrowed time if I have a stock piston, so I guess I'd better plan to do the top end pretty soon. I"ve never done one so it should be an adventure.

Where do you ride in Mobile?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Piston swap for a wiesco, the sooner the better.
Not very hard, you only need gasket, piston kit (with bearings, wrist pins, clips...)
When you take it apart, be careful to SUPPORT the KIPS shaft when you remove the nut at the top (left tread). Do same at reassembly.
Get the manual if you don't already have one, it's pretty well explained (aside for supporting the shaft, everything is explained) Good luck
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What does that have to do with the front end and springs?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

AST236

Post by AST236 »

Nothing.

My fault. I saw another rider from nearby and started a conversation.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

In a nutshell the susp can be made to work great after springs/valving/etc, but most on here have replaced the susp with KX parts for the same or less money, and of course gain more.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project