KDX 250 Water Pump Seal(s)

Got questions? We got answers....
exbee

KDX 250 Water Pump Seal(s)

Post by exbee »

1993 KDX 250: I have found that there is a thin layer of coolant on top of the pricey Motul gear oil I JUST put in my bike. From my research here I guess I need to start with the water pump seal or seals. I haven't removed any parts yet but from a quick look on BikeBandit I can't determine which parts are the seals:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 42sch54819

Can anyone tell me which parts they are? I'm new to this bike.
I've also read to check the shaft for grooves and replace the bearing. Any further info on this would be appreciated.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

there's supposed to be a table that lists the part numbers and the descriptions. Maybe that site is wonky, try Ron Ayers or another one to see if the table shows up.

You're on the right track with checking the shaft so it doesn't eat your new seals and change the bearing. You should be following the maintenance manual, got one?

I personally don't see the need for expensive oil since it gets full of clutch crud anyway. I just replace mine about every 3 rides.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:. I just replace mine about every 3 rides.
That never makes any sense to me
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
exbee

Post by exbee »

Here's the page with the list of parts:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... us/o/m3542

I do have the service manual and I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to change the bearing & seal but I can't determine which parts to order from this fiche.

By the way, I understand it's not good to leave coolant in the oil for too long but am I good for a ride or two? I've been working on this bike all damn winter and the weather is finally decent and it needs SOMETHING ELSE! I'm tired of wrenching and want to ride!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have seen people who never change the seal and run milk for clutch oil... you should be fine for a few rides....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Ran mine for 30 miles

Mine was more like oily water
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
nearma12

Post by nearma12 »

You need 90249b &90249c.

The KDX250 has a 2 piece seal. It is fairly easy to change. It shouldn't hurt to ride with coolant in the oil temporarily, but not really a great idea.

You might want to check and see where your gear oil breather hose goes to. On my KDX250, it fits into the airbox. When my water pump seal went out, it flooded my gear box and started spitting oil/coolant out the breather hose directly into my airbox. It was a mess! The airbox, filter, and carb were coated with white milky oil and it took forever to clean it up. I'm not sure if all the KDX250's have the breather tube routed there, but mine sure did. Just a heads up.
exbee

Post by exbee »

Thanks nearma, that helps me out.
I finally got to take the bike for a proper ride today after working on it for months....it runs great! I used the jetting suggestions I found on this site and a couple others and it was bang on! I'm not very experienced in the dirt but I can't see me needing any more power any time soon..it really rips. There were no flat spots or bogs anywhere...just pulled hard.
I think I went too stiff with the Race Tech springs I put in cause it's kina harsh but it's not terrible. I'm looking forward to riding it some more...after I change the damn water pump seals....
Getting a 17 year old bike in top condition takes a lot of time, money, and especially elbow grease!