kips problem

Got questions? We got answers....
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

yes ok great. with my bike i got a few new parts in a bag, like a chain roller, sprocket, and a few pins, and one of the parts that came with it is the goviner thing :grin: it looks just like the one in the pic that green hornet posted.

does anyone know like what i have to slid the pin into on the governer gear? and what way it needs to be turned so it will be timmed right?

i think at the top of the shaft i want to have the part with the claw pointed towards the rear of the bike? so when it ingages it turns clock wise and opens the kips valve????? wich also turns clock wise?

im having trouble finding how the pin part goes into the governer so its timed right

and yes i looked in the manual but could not find it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Got a pic of it? Just trying to confirm your part is in tact.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
pinitwot wrote:thanks but i already have the stupid manual.

when i look in the exhaust port i can see the little flaper and i can see it move up and down a little.
but also i would like to know turning the kips shaft on the right side (with the gear on the end) of the engine wich way is opening the valves?

and if i turn them open should they stay open or are they on a sping and go back closed as soon as i let go of the shaft???
If I recall correctly, the valves open as you turn the gear towards the front of the bike and no, it won't return by itself, but it shouldn't be difficult to move in either direction.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

ok sorry indawood its in the bike already, but i got the broken pice out of the bottom of the case, and yes i have the right peice.

i found the part where it talks about the governer part, its in the clutch section

i put it all back together this time i heald onto the shaft with a pliers and made sure it didnt turn.

got everything back together and started it up. let it warm up a little then reved it and that damn shaft still is not turning. all i did was rev it on the stand i didnt drive it.

are you sure that shaft in the very first pic i posted is supposed to turn?

i dont no what to do
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... it should rotate.... You have to get the R's up to 6K though....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

im sure i am doing that. dont they run like 10k wide open though? i just have it in N sitting on the stand there reving it up.

im still conserned that the kips shaft is turning to hard by hand. i would say it doesnt turn realy hard but it deffenetly doesnt turn realy easy.

i am able to turn it with my hands

also is it ok if i would drive it? to see if it has always been like this? but i dont want to if i might mess something up
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Heck yeah... take her for a ride.... open it up and see if she opens up wide....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

The KIPS should move easily by hand. If there is resistance than its either DIRTY, not aligned or SEIZED or BROKEN. Also that PIN fits into that GROVE on the Plastic Gear/Spring Gear.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

ya i figured that out when i was putting it back together.

i can turn the kips shaft with my hand but i wouldnt say it extreamily easy to turn. but i dont see how it would be dirty because when i had the cover off it was not durty in side of it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

In the manual... did you see the entire KIPS assembly?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

yes i saw the entire kips assembly???

k but i got it out and road it and i all it does is it boggs on the low rpms but when you get the rpms up it runs great.

and it didnt do this before, and it has no changes to the carb, and yes the carb is clean.

now when i look threw the little cover on the left side of the motor i can see that the shaft turns just a little, but not like it should. i went and looked at my buddies bike and his turns a lot. mine is just turning a hair.

does it sound like that i broke that pin again? or i dont have something lined up right?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If it was here at my house I could tell ya in an hour what the issue was and probably fix it. But as is not here and I cannot see and check everything..... I really can't help much.

If you supported the shaft then I highly doubt you screwed up the pin again.

I would suspect a gummy KIPS in the cylinder.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

ya thats what im thinking to.

i took the clutch cover back off to check the pin and its still fine.

i think the problem is that the main KIPS shaft is not springing back like it should. i went and looked at my friends bike and took the small cover off and turned the shaft and his srung back nicly.

is there some sort of spring in the cyclinder? or what makes it spring back?
rattlesnake_06

Post by rattlesnake_06 »

Then how do you get the gears on the end of the shaft back in time?
All coiled up ready to strike
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

what? what do you mean?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There should be a dot on the claw and a dot on the gear which need to be lined up when the valves are closed.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The KIPS assembly in the cylinder should move silky smooth.

Try this-
Remove the claw gear (while supporting the shaft)
Confirm that the KIPS assembly moves nice and slick. A 10 mm nut driver through the left hand slotted cover would do the trick.
Start and rev the bike up a bit. The governor shaft should rotate through about 1/4 revolution.

This will help separate the issues-
Is the governor shaft rotating?
Now you can get an idea of how the claw gear should be positioned.
When putting the claw gear back on there should be marks that line up. If not, with the KIPS closed and the motor on, put the gear on so that it will open the valves.
is there some sort of spring in the cyclinder? or what makes it spring back?
There is a return spring down in the governer assembly in the right side case. It's not a very strong spring so your KIPS can't be hard to operate or it will stay stuck open.
Looking into the LH slotted cover , KIPS closed is fully CW. There ought to be a ball and spring that engages the cam on the shaft when fully closed. A lot of people remove the ball and spring; its purpose is to delay start of KIPS operation a bit. It comes up from below the lower edge of the slotted cover at about 5 o'clock.

From what you are describing it sounds like it is running with the KIPS stuck open.

You'll figure it out
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Correction-
If not, with the KIPS closed and the motor on, put the gear on so that it will open the valves.

Motor "OFF"
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

yes ok i got my problem down to the KIPS are turning to hard and staying open. must be dirty.

so i got the cylinder off and i got the whole assemble off except for the two shafts on the left side of the cylinder. the right ones came out fine.

i pulled the vertical one right out then the horizantal one right out.

but the left side will not come. i have tried turning both shafts while pulling. but they will not come. is there any special trick??

thanks need some help here

i looked up the kawasaki parts numbers: 12005A and 46102A those are the to shafts that i can not get out. they are in the diagram of the cylinder/head.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

According to the fiche I looked at the "A's" are on the Right side of the engine so I don't know if you got the wrong number or are don't know right from left :wink: . There are gear teeth cut into the shaft and they interlock with the valves and the actuator. Don't force it or it can cost you money. Let me check my book and see if I can figure it out.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220