kips problem

Got questions? We got answers....
pinitwot

kips problem

Post by pinitwot »

so i got my bike back together after doing my first top end. started right up first kick :supz:

so i pulled this side cover thing off to vew to make sure the kips are working and guess what they are not. :oops:

from what i have read is that the shaft in there should move when its reved over 6000 rpms. and mine doesnt. it reves fine though????????

is this true?

the only part i messed with is the part where it conects to the top end.

anyone have any ideas that might be causing this?

also when i had the bike apart i saw that the kips thing was all the way open in the exhaust port is this how its supposed to be when its taken apart? also how easily should the shart turn when you have the cylinder off?

thanks! please help

[/img]Image
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the main valve should be close when the engine is off.
Did you support the shaft when you put the left treaded nut on?
Maybe your kips actuator is broken? (really bad if you run it like that)
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

ok so when the engine is off there should only be a little gap? cuz on mine i think it was all the way open?

do you have a pic of when it would be closed?

and i dont understand what you mean by (supporting the shaft when you put the left threaded nut on)???????????//

and how do you get to the kips acuator, and tell if its broken?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

On the right hand side of the engine is a shaft that comes up from the bottom end to engage the gear for the KIPS valves in the cylinder. If you do not support that shaft when loosening or tightening that LH thread nut on top, you can break off the pin at the bottom of the shaft that rides in the KIPS governor. That pin then floats around and usually lays at the bottom uselessly, but could get snatched up by the clutch or main gear and cause some real damage. To get to the governor and pin you have to pull the inner clutch cover off the RH side of the engine.
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

oh. so i just take the clutch cover off and look in there?

that very well may be the problem, cuz i did not hold it while tighting it.

they need to put that in the manual.

and i no my kips turn cuz i put a nut driver on the bolt that is on the end of the shaft in the little inspection hole (the pic i psted earlier), but how easy sholuld it turn?

and how easy is it to get a new pin? and how much does it cost?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It is in the manual! :lol:

You don't just remove the clutch cover but also what the clutch cover is attached too....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

ok im i going to have to take the clutch out too?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No, I think by that he's referring to the INNER clutch cover. The little round cover is your clutch cover, the larger cover that mates to the center case is the inner clutch cover. You must remove it. The clutch does not need to come out. The governor rides in a bearing in the inner clutch cover and another bearing in the center case. So when you remove the inner cover it just falls out.

You have a manual? It's all in there. The pin is available at OEM parts dealers.
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

ok thanks i will have to check, im guessing that is the problem,

but also wondering how easy should the shaft in the pic, how easy should i be able to turn it with a nut driver?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

pretty danged easy.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

ok well i took it apart and i see no pin??????? all i see is this thing it looks like it is broken???
is this the pin?

also i would like to know turning the kips shaft on the right side (with the gear on the end) of the engine wich way is opening the valves?

and if i turn them open should they stay open or are they on a sping and go back closed as soon as i let go of the shaft???

[img][img]http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv23 ... G_0181.jpg[/img][/img][/b]
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmm.... something tells me you don't have a manual. All this stuff is in there. The KIPS is a very complex system and you will not see a the overall exhaust port do anything.....

The pin is on the other side of that flat metal piece attached with 2 allen bolts if it's there.... looks like toast to me.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Seems like you need to check this:
http://www.cyclepedia.com/amember/signu ... up=CPP-102
it's cheap and a must have
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

thanks but i already have the stupid manual.

when i look in the exhaust port i can see the little flaper and i can see it move up and down a little.
but also i would like to know turning the kips shaft on the right side (with the gear on the end) of the engine wich way is opening the valves?

and if i turn them open should they stay open or are they on a sping and go back closed as soon as i let go of the shaft???
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That broken piece and pin that your missing.... is what actuates the KIPS and makes the whole thing work. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

The governor is a $20 part & you will need a right engine case gasket & clutch gasket. It does not state in the manual that you have to support the KIPS Shaft (at leaast mine didn't) Also the nut that connects to the claaw is a reverse thread.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You are correct! It has been years since I looked at that part. They just state that it is left hand threads... nothing about supporting the rod.

I guess being in the know you just assume others know.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Don't forget to FIND as many broken pieces as you can before you ride...you probably ought to remove the clutch and gear and make sure no pieces are hiding there, could cost you a lot, ask me how I know...
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

This is the problem area
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

we need somebody to design something stronger and better than the oem cast crap POS. Any volunteer? :?