Will a 95 up carb work on a 92?

Got questions? We got answers....
808hondacrguy

Will a 95 up carb work on a 92?

Post by 808hondacrguy »

Hi,I am having all kinds of problems with my 92 200 carb and I was wondering if one from a 95 and up would work in its place? Would I have to do alot of jetting work to make it run decent?Has any one ever tried this and got it to work? Tired of buying carbs off of Ebay and having the same problems.Any help would be appreciated. Thanx,Guy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... it'll work fine.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

What kinda problems are you having?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
808hondacrguy

Post by 808hondacrguy »

Thanks for the fast reply, Inda. I have fuel pouring out the over flow after riding for a while.Adjusted floats many times,replaced needle,got frustrated,bought carb from ebay,did the same thing,noticed the float bowl smashed,which means he was having the same problem,tapping the side to stop it.It only does it after riding for 20 minutes or so.Took it to the local bike shop{local KDX expert},he adjusted it,burnished the seat,which is not replacable and said it should be good to go,but same problem.I have a filter and the float bowl is clean when I take it apart. Got another carb from a wrecking yard and SAME THING! I love this bike but am afraid to take it very far because once it starts leaking,it is a full steady stream.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

when on the side stand or all the time?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

I had the same problem. I adjusted the tab on the float several time. Too high and it doesn't get gas at all, too low and it pees like crazy.

not to mention it's a pain in the ass taking the bike apart to get to the float, adjusting it and then putting it all back, just to see if it's correct.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I usually have to clean and adjust my carb once a year... that's it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mine pee's a little on the stand but it's no big deal just to turn off the petcock
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Make sure you're bending the tab in the right direction. It's a bit of a brain twister when the part is in your hand trying to figure out which way to bend the tab.

With regards to your original carb leaking only after 20 minutes, I would guess that the float isn't gas-proof anymore. The actual float is filling up with fuel, and just like the Titanic post-iceberg, it sinks. This, of course, opens the valve right up and makes a stinky mess. Maybe you only need a new float.
David Eckel
808hondacrguy

Post by 808hondacrguy »

All three carbs do it! When I ride for a while and I stop,the gas just pours out the overflow. It doesnt matter whether on a stand or sitting on the bike,it's like someone turns on a faucet. Thought about the float,but there is never any gas in it when I take it apart. The bike can sit all night with the gas on and not leak but a couple of drops,but once you ride it a bit,it leaks like a beeotch. I think a newer model carb might save me a lot of grief dealing with this issue,My boy and 2 of his friends have 220's,and none of them have aproblem like this. Maybe my carbs are all too old and just wore out? I hate to put money into the carb and still have the same problem when I might be able to get a later model carb and be good to go. Thanx,Guy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

What makes you think a newer carb is the answer? There was no modification made to the carb in later models to prevent this behavior, as this is not and never has been a common problem for this carb, be it E series or H series.

Chances are just as good that you find a newer carb with problems (the same or otherwise), as finding a second or even a third carb with the same issue. There must be some common variable you are overlooking. There are not a plethora of conditions to cause the float bowl to overfill. The float is bad, the float valve is worn or sticking, the float valve seat is worn or damaged, or perhaps you have dirt/trash in the tank/petcock which is getting stuck in the float valve and preventing it from sealing. That last one makes the most sense to me given your current descriptions.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

dirt in the tank would explain why all 3 carbs had the same symptom but not why only after 20 min ride :hmm:
It's worth a looksee though.
808hondacrguy

Post by 808hondacrguy »

Im just thinking that all the newer carbs are easier and cheaper to get. I have taken the petcock out.flushed the tank,and installed an inline filter,because I thought that might be the problem. I replaced the needle valve,but the seat is not replacable.I have pulled the carb and checked it WHILE it was leaking and there is not one speck of dirt in it. The guy at the shop that looked at it for me is MR.KDX,has raced them since the early eighties and he is at a loss too. I have been battling this for almost six months and am just about ready to give up and part it out. Oh yeah,the guy at the shop resurfaced the needle seat,but he said that if it didnt work,I should look at getting another carb. I have even taken off the gas cap because when the vent plugged up on my orange bike,the tank pressurised and shot the gas out of every overflow on my carb. :sad: