Preload Spacers?

Got questions? We got answers....
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Preload Spacers?

Post by Slick_Nick »

Today I redid my stock forks. I know about the KX swap, that's going to wait. I'm not a good enough rider to need those right now, nor do I have funds, etc.

Anyway, I'm 185 with gear, my bike has the .38 springs, and fresh 5W oil. I did the base valve shim stack mod today, removed 4 of the 10 shims, now running 6. I read on cutting my own preload spacers, but with the correct springs, is that really nessicary? I guess that's what I'm trying to determine. I ride mostly rocky terrain, so some soft suspension is important to me. Input appreciated.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... the stock preload spacers are way too long. You only want about 5-10mm of preload on the springs.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Do I need to make entirely new ones, or can I just chop the stockers down? Also, where's the cheapest place to find a new base valve assembly? (See rebuild thread.)
'00 KDX 220R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

some use PVC from the hardware store.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Ya that's what I was referring to. I think that's a good route to take, I might even have some lying around.
'00 KDX 220R
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

Slick Nick, Carver did a great write up on the pre-load mod awhile back.
Search for it. 1" Schedule 40 pvc. I did the mod last season with noticable results (positive). Pre-load was about 22 stock and is now at 8 mm and also did the shim removal (-4) with a blend of oil to 7.5w.
Good luck on the base valve!
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I'm going to do the preload spacer mod as soon as I get my forks back together with the new base valves. I did the shim stack mod (-4 also) already, and I'm running Motorex 5W oil.

What did you notice as a difference? Softer? Were the forks easier to bottom because of this?
'00 KDX 220R
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

Slick,
The biggest difference was the front absorbed and tracked better...I went to 7.5w to slow the rebound abit. I also have the clickers out to 9 which seems to work well for me...200 lbs. w/ gear. Bottoms out only on a very harsh hit at speed..play with your oil level to get the results you want...we all like a slightly different feel.
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....