power valve???

Got questions? We got answers....
rattlesnake_06

power valve???

Post by rattlesnake_06 »

Ok this is my first water cooled 2 stroke and dont know much about them so here it goes i just bought a 01 KDX 200 fresh top end but the bike has a helluva dull spot in the top of the powerband i have pulled the carb and shimmed the needle back to the center notch and then i couldnt start it so i put the e-clip back on the bottom notch where it was its starts good again but still that bad dull spot is still there dont know if i should play with the jetting or the air mixture screw the bike is completely stock dont know much about the KIPS so im kinda thinkin that the problem is in there but not sure thats why im here to find the guys that have ridden and worked on these bikes for years thanks any help would be greatly appreciated
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

start here:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1156
Not saying it is your problem but it's a good start. Find out what jets you have already.
If I remember right, you can actually check the valve by removing the cover on the left (the round one with the notch in it, use a big flat screwdriver) and watch if the valve are actuating or not by reving the engine
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Wow, First step is to track down whoever stole your punctuation keys and kill him. Next, you could post some meaningful information such as what jets are currently installed, your riding altitude and temperature so that someone might have a clue as to how close you are on the basic jetting.

It's very common for someone to break the KIPS during a top end job and that may be the case in your bike. You could search the tons of posts on this topic, but to check you can remove the round cover on the left side of the cylinder that has the large slot cut in it. Start the bike and rev it while watching the shaft inside. when you get to about 6K RPM, it should begin turning, and when you back off it should return. This tells you the governor and linkage are working, but not that the valves themselves are operating, to see that you need to take the pipe off, and look up the exhaust port and check operation (engine off).

Oh, and a manual would be a great help to you.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:Wow, First step is to track down whoever stole your punctuation keys and kill him.
:lol:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:Wow, First step is to track down whoever stole your punctuation keys and kill him.
:lol:
Finally a little common fuggin sense in here :supz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rattlesnake_06

Post by rattlesnake_06 »

Here we go again. I really do appreciate all the help. When i get home from work today i'll take that out of there. Thank you!!!!!! Wierdest thing i found the person that took all the punctuatuion off my keyboard it was the wife she had just gotten out of the shower and headed for bed I was in a hurry for the best two minutes of her day. Thanks again will post back after i pull it apart.
All coiled up ready to strike
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

2 minutes? I can get 'er done in half that........

If you'll take care of the obvious I bet you can find help for the odd stuff here.

Air filter clean, but not too much oil. Wring it out completely
Gas fresh and mixed correctly
Spark plug new
Pipe and silencer appear to be in good shape and not plugged up?

Local conditions?
Current jetting?
Confirmation that the KIPS shaft rotates by looking under that large slotted cover, LH side of cylinder

Nothing new here
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Checking for proper rotation is good, but will not tell you if either of the subvalves are stripped or broken. You need to pull the pipe off, look up through the exhaust port and verify that the valves all operate when you rotate the gear by hand.
rattlesnake_06

Post by rattlesnake_06 »

ok I read the post from scheckaet and checked out reeds and they appear to be new my jetting is 160 48 I am in southern Illinois. But the bike definetly seems to be running extremely rich . It has new gas mixed 40:1 air filter been cleaned and not too much oil (I have had that problem with my blaster before). I am kinda at a loss here but i did find that two of the bolts that hold the reed cage in were loose but wouldnt that make the bike run leaner?
All coiled up ready to strike
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Drop that main to a 152 and the pilot to a 42... that should make the throttle crisp enough.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "