87 kdx200 transmission problems

Got questions? We got answers....
RawbbyTheSheeth

87 kdx200 transmission problems

Post by RawbbyTheSheeth »

i have an 87 kdx200. the other day i rode it into some water and got tons of water in the cylinder. first question is do i have to take the whole motor apart and clean it out or just clean the transmission and cylinder head out. second question i have another bottom end off another 87 and i dont know the condition of it the bearings roll great but when i shift gears on my bench sometimes i have to spin the sprocket to get it to click in gear. does that mean that that transmission is shot? or is that just how it works on the bench? when it shifts it shifts fine though. any tips ideas? or should i just use the water loged motor and clean it?

thanks
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You need to turn your bike upside down and drain the motor.

On the other bottom end... that's the way it goes sometimes... it's normal.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
RawbbyTheSheeth

Post by RawbbyTheSheeth »

so the water logged motor should be fine then? probably have to change the transmission oil a few times to afterwords to get all that muddy particals out to hu?

so the other bottom end i have that wont shift smooth is probably shot then?

i've never had this issue before so i thought once the motor got water in it it was done.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No, the other bottom end behaves normally. You have to spin the counter shaft to shift, because it does not engage the gear your in until it's turned a bit, then it can shift to the next gear, etc..

The waterlogged engine will probably be fine if you follow Inda's advice. Flush it out well, and do it quickly. The longer water sits in that bottom end the more chance rust has to develop on the bearings.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Use ATF in your trans to remove water...It will mix, and allow you to drain.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project