just bought a 04 kdx220 need some advice.

Got questions? We got answers....
ricpdjrr

just bought a 04 kdx220 need some advice.

Post by ricpdjrr »

Just picked up a 04 kdx 220 and when i test rode it it seemed fine except for a slight hesitation mid range. when i got it home and was able to give it a better ride it is definitely boggy at low rpms but will stand right up 1/2 way through the power band. I went to clean the air cleaner and found the cover to the air box was missing. just wanted to know if that is some sort of modification ( I think the only mod on the bike is a gnarly gold pipe.) and what it would be doing to the performance of the bike. I will be cleaning the carb and replacing the plug and the usual maintenance but i was hoping to get some feed back on the air box cover and maybe some ideas on the bogging problem.

Thanks for any input you might have... Rich
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep... a very common mod is to lose the airbox lid. Helps the bike breath and make more power....

What is your air screw set too?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

lid missing? common mod.
bog is most likely a jetting issue. jet it properly, read the sticky on how to :wink:
cleaning the carb is a good idea.
It's a 220: if you still run the stock piston: replace with an aftermarket ASAP (most use a wiseco). If you don't you might grenade your engine. do a search about 220 piston.
Check your linkage and swing arm bearing and grease them.
Go ride
ricpdjrr

Post by ricpdjrr »

Thanks... that's just the info i was looking for.... for the most part.... whats up with the PISTON....... I guess i found this forum a little late, I had a 92 kdx200 and the thing was bulletproof from the day i bought it used. all i heard about the 220 was the same so i grabbed this one . It was a little beat up but for $1200 bucks i thought it was a good deal. I will search around about it. Thanks for the help and the heads up.... Rich
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the 200 piston has no issue, but for some reason the 220 stock is known to fail, crack....grenade....