Riding the katoom 2morrow

Got questions? We got answers....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Riding the katoom 2morrow

Post by Julien D »

I'll be on a buddies 200xc tomorrow. I borrowed his bike and am letting another buddy ride my KDX so I have someone to ride with. Should be an interesting day....

J.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool! Keep in mind that's the close ratio model...More like a factory MX conversion, but i'm sure you knew that. :cool:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, xcw would be the wide ratio. Probably my first choice. Have a friend who was selling a nice 06...

I think I might need one......

:blink:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

So anyway, it was a great ride for me on the KTM. Very muddy in spots, and a good bit of snow. The KTM handles great. Feels very nimble in the corners. I like the power delivery of my KDX better, but the extra snap of the KTM provides many grins and the handling was superb. I'd ridden the same KTM before when the suspension was poorly set, and I was not impressed. Totally different story yesterday, It was awesome!

Unfortunately my buddy that was riding my KDX did not fare so well. I think my poor bike hit the ground at least 20 times. Lost half a fork guard, destroyed a shroud, and something went wrong with the rear brake. Not sure what yet, but it ain't workin anymore. I think I owe my bike a serious apology. The KTM touched the ground only once, and it was a gentle low speed get off on a seriously muddy hill climb.

Unfortunately that was the only way I was gonna get to ride this weekend, and it's my last opportunity till april. My usual riding partner was working, but was nice enough to let me borrow his Katoom. The other option was riding alone, which is the one thing my wife will not let me do.
jswag

Post by jswag »

NEVER let anyone ride your bike!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol. Yeah well. He's my best friend of about 20 years, been living with us for a couple years now. It was worth it to be able to go ride, when i otherwise would not have been able to. I'm traveling every weekend for the rest of this month, so no more riding until April. We have a 90 KDX in the garage for him, but it's currently in pieces. Needs a lot of work.

So two of us broke that rule yesterday. My other best friend who let me borrow his KTM, and me for letting my buddy ride my KDX. Again, worth it. One of the best rides I've had in a couple years.

Oh yeah, shifter splines are stripped on the KDX as well, yay!!

Now I'm slightly torn between hunting down a decent kx125 roller for my KDX engine, or starting the hunt for a good deal on a 200 XC. Leaning towards the hybrid right now. I'll have one or the other within the next couple years for sure.
jswag

Post by jswag »

Go ahead and get the 250 XC-W.... and a second job for paying for parts and maintenance. :shock:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The KTM's are not as bad on parts as people say, or as I previously thought. You can check for yourself if you like. Parts fiches are readily available for all models. We've rebuilt this one twice now (once when he got it, and again after he swamped it badly), and it was just about on par with every other 2 stroke build I've ever had to do. Plastics and bearings and seals, all just about the same as any other bike.

I'm pretty fond of 200's, so If I'm shopping for one it'd be a 200 XC, most likely.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

On the rear brake, try swapping the brake fluid. He may have been dragging it all day, and boiled the fluid. Make sure you get all the old stuff out since it'll have a brazillian tiny bubbles in it.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'll try that first yeah. I think I have a MC rebuild kit laying around here somewhere. I didn't see any fluid spraying out anywhere, but it would have been nearly impossible to pick out amidst the 20 lbs of mud/leaves/sticks stuck to the bike. No pressure in the lever at all.

Got my eye on a set of shrouds on fleabay. Guess I'll have to start hunting down fork guards to fit a 95 yz250.....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm gonna check out the bike a bit today. Supposed to be nice out today (above freezing, lol). I've got a set of 94 kdx inverted fork guards I'll try to get on there. Started looking into the rear brakes already. Rear pads are about 50%, fluid reservoir was dead empty. We'll see what's what here in the next little bit. I'm going to assume when I fill it and start bleeding it'll be loosing fluid somewhere.

I think come next fall I'm going to start the search for a kx125 roller. Want something a little more modern and nimble but I don't really want to go orange yet. I have too much fun making fun of all my buddy's orange mid-life crisis bikes. Plus I think I'll really enjoy the build process. My 89 engine is fresh now from the bottom up, so it should be a fine donor.

J.