How do I prep my engine for paint?

Got questions? We got answers....
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How do I prep my engine for paint?

Post by dfeckel »

I will soon be painting my motor for my KX-DX hybrid project, and I'm wondering the best way to prep the cases, covers, etc. Despite 45 minutes of Simple Green and a pressure washer, there is still a lot of baked-on mud residue that I can't really scrape or scrub off.

I thought about plugging up all the holes and getting a little gravity-fed sand blaster to hook up to my air compressor and just blasting the motor in the yard, but someone knowledgeable in the gearhead ways tried to dissuade me from that, saying no matter how careful you are, you're going to get blaster media in the seals and gaskets. I am hoping to avoid a bottom-end rebuild with this project, so I defnintely don't want to have to split cases to clean out sand from the sandblaster.

Anyone have any experience with this? Would using a softer media, like crushed walnut shells, be less likely to get in the seals? Is it really even an issue?
David Eckel
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I was going to suggest the Sandblaster, but have you tried a Wire Brush on a Drill or Engine Degreaser & a Hand Held Wire Brush.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Why do you want to paint it?

I used Krud Kutter, wire brushes, wire wheels, carb cleaner, you name it on my motor this winter

Wish I'd taken a before pic, the motor was stained kinda tannish orange with the red clay I ride on

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

For painting, you should create a "toothed" surface by grit blasting with alum oxide or similar. You could do it on an assembled motor with the sufficient prep.

Even without the blasting, lots of guys on the CBX forum paint them as assembled. Usually cleaned, but not blasted.

For cleaning, try soda blast:

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-t ... a_blaster/
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

thats cool
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I am totally trying the soda blaster. Great link!!

Also, good idea with the wire wheel.

I think combining both will work great. I won't be leaving bare metal, though. Definitely painting.
David Eckel
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

...and you need to post some before, after, and during pictures.
And we don't go for none of that blurry, cell-phone-cam $#!t, either. Just ask Wib.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Fugginay
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

I sandblasted mine and top coated clear.I know powdercoating reacts to soda blasting by peeling if not cleaned properly,so be carefull if taking that route.Image[/img]
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Hmmm...that homemade blaster was cool. Do if you blasted your engine or hubs, would you need to pud a protective coat on them afterwards? By blasting are you blasting away a factory protective coat?
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I tired the homemade soda blaster in that link on a rear hub and it cleaned it very well.

It wasn't a big deal, but the baking soda didn't feed through the tube at a consistent rate. I'd have a second or two of soda coming out, followed by a second of air, then a second or two of soda, etc.

The rain then cleaned off the driveway and you couldn't tell anything was done on the driveway.
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:I tired the homemade soda blaster in that link on a rear hub and it cleaned it very well.

It wasn't a big deal, but the baking soda didn't feed through the tube at a consistent rate. I'd have a second or two of soda coming out, followed by a second of air, then a second or two of soda, etc.

The rain then cleaned off the driveway and you couldn't tell anything was done on the driveway.
Did you use the recommended giant air compressor. I only have a little pot belly model and I'm sure it wouldn't produced the required volume.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I used a 25 gallon compressor. I think I had the PSI set to around 80. The motor on the compressor didn't rest for very long before cycling.
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

check eastwood's website as they have some blasting specific soda that works 10 times better then normal baking soda for blasting.The down side is I recall it only comes in 50lb bags.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I blast all of my aluminum with crushed walnut hulls. Works great, biodegradeable, and the end result is nice, bare aluminum.
'00 KDX 220R
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:I blast all of my aluminum with crushed walnut hulls. Works great, biodegradeable, and the end result is nice, bare aluminum.
Where do you get the walnut hulls from?
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Uhh they grow in walnut trees...

Ya just gotta eat a ton of em first
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

>|<>QBB<
canuckhybrid125 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:I blast all of my aluminum with crushed walnut hulls. Works great, biodegradeable, and the end result is nice, bare aluminum.
Haha I buy all my media from princess auto.

I should clarify, I don't use the walnut hulls to prep for paint. I use crushed quartz for that. The walnut hulls are great to bring aluminum back to its original lustre though.
'00 KDX 220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

princess ??

No surprise there :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:>|<>QBB<
canuckhybrid125 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Haha I buy all my media from princess auto.

I should clarify, I don't use the walnut hulls to prep for paint. I use crushed quartz for that. The walnut hulls are great to bring aluminum back to its original lustre though.
I have just seen silica sand at our princess auto,ill have to take a closer look.Thanks Nick
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300