How do I prep my engine for paint?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

I agree with mr Wibben opinion. why do you need to sand blast it? some cleaner and wire brushes will do the job. leaving it original instead of painting in my opinion is the best. notice the little uneven surface on the engine cylinder...oem done it that way to retain operating temperture by allowing air to sort of "catch" and "stick around" better for better cooling effect when you are going slow or in humid forrested terrain. also painting will dull things up, the bright sliver oem coating is also to conduct heat away and reflect heat better. (this is what i understand).
A true KDX customizer!!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

You are wrong I'm afraid. On an air cooled bike maybe, but on a kdx it will make no difference.
'00 KDX 220R
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

>|<>QBB<
KDXsg wrote:I agree with mr Wibben opinion. why do you need to sand blast it? some cleaner and wire brushes will do the job. leaving it original instead of painting in my opinion is the best. notice the little uneven surface on the engine cylinder...oem done it that way to retain operating temperture by allowing air to sort of "catch" and "stick around" better for better cooling effect when you are going slow or in humid forrested terrain. also painting will dull things up, the bright sliver oem coating is also to conduct heat away and reflect heat better. (this is what i understand).
It depends how you want your bike to look and I never heard of the factory leaving uneven surface for air to stick around,your rads are for cooling unless you have a air cooled bike.As far as I know black is the best color to dissipate heat.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

As my hybrid build gets longer and longer, I am becoming lazier and lazier. I did a bunch of wire brushing of the cases with a hand-held drill, and they cleaned up pretty well. Good enough for me. Just waiting on the cylinder to come back from Powerseal and the head and carb to come back from RB and I'll really start building again.
David Eckel