oil leak at engine mount

Got questions? We got answers....
chopper515

oil leak at engine mount

Post by chopper515 »

I just went and looked at a 2000 kdx200 and noticed oil leaking from the bottom front engine mount. I didn't notice it coming out while it wasn't running, but when we fired it up and took it for a spin it was noticeable. It's coming out at the base of the bolt and nut (between the frame and the case) that goes through the frame tabs and the crankcase. My initial thought is that the that the crankcase gasket (is there a gasket, or just sealant?) has failed internally and is allowing tranny oil to pass and it is making it's way out through the mounting hole. From the parts diagram it looks like the area just inside the crancase at this mounting location should be vacant of any oil. Any thoughts?

Here is a link to the parts diagram. The mounting hole on the top drawing at the bottom towards the front.

http://oem.thumpertalk.com/images/Kawas ... _E1411.jpg
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have a thought, don't buy that bike unless it's about $300.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'd pass unless you can get it real cheap like Mike said...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
chopper515

Post by chopper515 »

It runs and looks great and he's asking $1200 which would be a pretty good deal if it didn't have the leak. I obviously won't pay that now. Anybody have any input on the cause of the leak?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Never heard of that... if it has a cracked case... it ain't worth much.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Are you sure it is not originating from the pipe to cylinder joint?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Are you sure it is not originating from the pipe to cylinder joint?
Yeah, what color is it?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
chopper515

Post by chopper515 »

It's definitely coming from behind the bolt and nut heads where it mounts to the frame and it's definitely tranny oil. I thought it was pretty odd also. I wiped it clean and took it for a spin and you could see it slowly coming out and dripping down the frame. We will most likely pass on it. Even if we could get a steal on it, if its got a cracked case internally it aint worth much (like indawoods said). It's a shame, it was a good looking/running bike.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, that would be a splitting the cases job. I'm having a hard time figuring how it would be possible for tranny oil to get down there though. That bolt is directly below the crank case, which would have no tranny oil in it, barring some other serious problem. Could it be leaking from the clutch cover and running down there?
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

It might also be leaking from the drain plug and just running to that engine mount before dripping off. The drain plug could be stripped, in which case just a helicoil would fix it up.
David Eckel
chopper515

Post by chopper515 »

I don't think it was coming from anywhere else, I wiped down everthing then took it for a spin and the oil showed up on both sides like a ring around these mounting points. It was actually between the frame and the case where the long bolt goes through. Verry odd?
chopper515

Post by chopper515 »

The sad thing is that someone is going to go look at it, ride it and not notice the leak and think they are getting a good deal at $1200.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Then you better just buy it, since it chokes you up so much
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Go back over and eyeball it real good!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Clean it up and dab it with some silly-cone
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Tell him the case is cracked and offer him $500...You can fine one that's in great shape for that money. Have seen plenty for $1500-less then $2k that already have damper, KX forks, pipe, cage, etc.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project