questions on my 1993 kdx 200

Got questions? We got answers....
matt forstrom

questions on my 1993 kdx 200

Post by matt forstrom »

I just got a 1993 kdx 200. does anyone know what is the best coolant to use? I dont plan to race it, just dont want overheating problems. also what is the best oil to use for the clutches? people keep telling me 10 w 40. just seeking other opinions.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I would not worry too much about what kind, you'll be lucky to keep coolant in it for very long if you ride it hard

Just any oil will do as long as it is not "energy conserving." I like to run a lighter oil like a 5w-30,

You don't want this

You want it like this
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

My personal preference is ATF Type F for the transmission, and I just use plain old green antifreeze about 40/60 with distilled water.
matt forstrom

Re: questions on my 1993 kdx 200

Post by matt forstrom »

>|<>QBB<
matt forstrom wrote:I just got a 1993 kdx 200. does anyone know what is the best coolant to use? I dont plan to race it, just dont want overheating problems. also what is the best oil to use for the clutches? people keep telling me 10 w 40. just seeking other opinions.
Thanks for the info guys
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

so what's the consensus on trans oil wt?

10w30 or 10w40?
matt forstrom

Post by matt forstrom »

from what I hear. its not really the wt of the oil that matters so much. everyone has told me to use high viscosity oil , 10 w 30 or 10 w 40, or atf type f. I just put a quart of 10 w 40 mobil synthetic in mine.
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

I checked my mobil 1 syn and it's evergy conserving (what ever that is).
it was 10w30. I think I'll replace it with 10w40 non EC.
matt forstrom

Post by matt forstrom »

>|<>QBB<
matt forstrom wrote:from what I hear. its not really the wt of the oil that matters so much. everyone has told me to use high viscosity oil , 10 w 30 or 10 w 40, or atf type f. I just put a quart of 10 w 40 mobil synthetic in mine.

I also checked and made sure that it was mobil 10 w 40 synthetic without the energy conserving label. put a quart in today and is working just fine for me.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'll let you in on a secret... Just because it doesn't say "Energy Conserving" doesn't mean that it's not.

Research it on the manufacturers website. I found I have been using energy conserving even though it is not marked so.

Your best bet is to buy motorcycle specific oil for clutches.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I'll let you in on a secret... Just because it doesn't say "Energy Conserving" doesn't mean that it's not.

Research it on the manufacturers website. I found I have been using energy conserving even though it is not marked so.

Your best bet is to buy motorcycle specific oil for clutches.
This is a valid point.

ATF is a pretty safe bet too though, dangit! I'm just flat out refusing to pay $9 a quart for transmission oil.

Motor oil standards have gotten so whacked these days you can hardly believe the labels anymore.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Lucas oil does not have the little seal on the bottle, so I have no idea if it is or not. But I've been running both bikes on it since summer with no noticeable ill effects
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
matt forstrom

Post by matt forstrom »

I better start looking for some different oil then. dumb motor oil. they always gotta lie about something haha.
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

Just put in the Mobil 1Syn specific motorcycle brand, 10w40. Probably paid double for the label, it didn't say Energy conserving.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yup, that's my feeling. The same stuff is undoubtedly in some other bottle at half the price with a different label.

You have the piece of mind of knowing it's not gonna cause a problem though!
jswag

Post by jswag »

so no one uses bel ray 80w gear oil? :hmm:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Never had any luck with the Bel Ray.... My bike always mis-shifted with it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Never had any luck with the Bel Ray.... My bike always mis-shifted with it.
Same here with ATF

It's ok for a few rides then goes to **** real quick
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

I'm glad I switch to 10w40.

The 10w30 Mobil syn EC was really dirty after only a few miles of riding on it.
It seemed sooty.
matt forstrom

Post by matt forstrom »

it sounds like 5 w 30 lucas oil is the stuff to use the hey?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

works for me

When cold, running 10w-40 my bike would take off in gear even with the clutch pulled
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))