Anyone running Polisport MMX headlight ?

Got questions? We got answers....
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Re: Anyone running Polisport MMX headlight ?

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

6 Riders wrote:With the tail light, you just buy a red led 1157 bulb, pretty simple. As far as the headlight.....I've been searching and only came up with one thing, but I have to order it from China and I'm not ready to do that yet.
Thank you! That's an easy fix for the taillight. Is there some sort of unit needed in the harness for LEDs to work, or can I just replace the incandescent with one? Obviously I can't just toss an LED bulb in place of the headlight bulb, right?

Also, some of the things in the Tusk kit I don't need (rear fender-mounted taillight). How difficult would it be to piece together my own wiring and components bought separately?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I built my whole harness instead of buying one, for the price the Tusk kit is a steal compared to do it yourself. With out the Tusk tail light thinggy, your going to have a hard time with mounting a license plate. I DESTROYED my plate on the first dirt ride (I had it mounted on a generic under fender mount. I now have it mounted on the rear fender, just below the tail light, no probs from the law yet, but I'll find one in a bad mood one day, I'm sure. What I did, using stock fender and tail light;
Replaced tail light socket with an 1157 (dual pole) socket, installed 1157 bulb, plugged 1st pole into stock wiring, ran wiring from rear brake sending unit to 2nd pole (and from power to sending unit)...Done. That was the easy part.
As far as LED lighting, getting blinkers to flash is the biggest deal/hardest part. I'm running my entire bike off the AC, but I am going to rectify it and run the turn signals and tail light off of DC and use only LEDs there. I have found an LED headlight, but it's $30 and I don't want to buy it if it's going to suck. I'd much rather spend $50 more and get a DOT headlight assembly. I am also considering going with HID since those kits can be had for $30 also, but I believe that I'd need a battery, not positive about it though.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

6 Riders wrote:I built my whole harness instead of buying one, for the price the Tusk kit is a steal compared to do it yourself. With out the Tusk tail light thinggy, your going to have a hard time with mounting a license plate. I DESTROYED my plate on the first dirt ride (I had it mounted on a generic under fender mount. I now have it mounted on the rear fender, just below the tail light, no probs from the law yet, but I'll find one in a bad mood one day, I'm sure. What I did, using stock fender and tail light;
Replaced tail light socket with an 1157 (dual pole) socket, installed 1157 bulb, plugged 1st pole into stock wiring, ran wiring from rear brake sending unit to 2nd pole (and from power to sending unit)...Done. That was the easy part.
As far as LED lighting, getting blinkers to flash is the biggest deal/hardest part. I'm running my entire bike off the AC, but I am going to rectify it and run the turn signals and tail light off of DC and use only LEDs there. I have found an LED headlight, but it's $30 and I don't want to buy it if it's going to suck. I'd much rather spend $50 more and get a DOT headlight assembly. I am also considering going with HID since those kits can be had for $30 also, but I believe that I'd need a battery, not positive about it though.
So, I should plan on getting the Tusk kit for street legalization. Now, the UFO taillight socket looks like it's dual pole (it has three wires coming from it. I assume I can use it with an LED light and wire the brake light switch to it?

I have an HID kit on my ZRX and had one on my CRF. They are amazing. I might go that route on the KDX too, but the ballast and modules take up space.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Mayor Brap Brap wrote: So, I should plan on getting the Tusk kit for street legalization. Now, the UFO taillight socket looks like it's dual pole (it has three wires coming from it. I assume I can use it with an LED light and wire the brake light switch to it?

I have an HID kit on my ZRX and had one on my CRF. They are amazing. I might go that route on the KDX too, but the ballast and modules take up space.
I would buy it. I might still buy and install that kit, minus the tail light, since I like the factory light. I want an HID, even if I have to mount the ballast, being able to actually see at night would be great and at this time those kits are cheaper than an LED bulb.
The UFO, If I recall right, is dual pole, so yes just wire the brake switch to the "other" wire, but make sure the bright light is activated by the brakes. It is ok to use a LED bulb in that socket, but they are not as bright as the standard bulbs, so pass inspection with a standard bulb, then switch.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
antonyp

Anyone running Polisport MMX headlight ?

Post by antonyp »

Has anyone burnt their MMX Bulb yet and found a replacement ? Mine has given out on me a couple weeks ago but wherever I go and take the old bulb looking for a replacement people think I'm some sort of alien :lol:
antonyp

Post by antonyp »

Found one - you can't beat online shopping [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
caracar
Supporting Member

Post by caracar »

This is a super old thread, but does anyone know the exact type of bulb for the MMX? I can't find specs anywhere. I really want to swap in an LED light if I get one of these. I like the look of the MMX but can find zero info on the bulb. A lot of the knock off shrouds/headlights use H4 and those are available all over the internet.
antonyp

Post by antonyp »

If I remember correctly it's an "S2 BA20D". Just do a search for a "Philips S2" and you'll get plenty of results. I hope this helps.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

I bought the polisport halo looks very similar to the mmx and uses a h4 bulb.