ATF in gas

Got questions? We got answers....
muddertrucker

ATF in gas

Post by muddertrucker »

We put the stuff in old diesel engines (two strokes as a mather of fact) to clean out the carbon and in the fuel to help lube the fuel pump.

Any major reason not to try it in the a KDX to clean up the kips?
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I don't think I would use ATF as a premix oil. It wouldn't make a good primary lubricant for your piston and if you mix it with your normal 2-stroke oil it will just displace (dilute) it or just make your engine real smokey.

Your diesel engine, even if it's a 2-stroke, still uses a pressurized lubrication system. Besides, diesel is all ready an oily fuel and the engine is made to run on it, your dirtbike won't run better with extra oil in the fuel, it would just dilute it.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Don't get wrong here, I know exactly what it does in adiesel engine. ATF is good for cleaning out carbon, I don't know why but it is.

I wasn't thinking of using it as primary lube juat adding some to my premix. I do expect there to be some sort of perfomance drop but had not thought about the execive smoke.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'd use a little sea foam or something before I'd put ATF in there. Better yet, I'd just pull it apart once a year and clean it. It's a lot easier to dismantle and clean out your two stroke top end than it is to dismantle and clean out a diesel engine.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Interesting question. It's pretty wll rumored that Marvels Mystery is basically ATF with some kero in it. I can attest to the fact that Marvels will help keep a 2T clean. We use it mixed HEAVY with pump gas to clean out methanol/castor from kart engines/carbs, and it does a great job....Never any carbon, and keeps the motor in 'storage' state regularly with nice coating of oil on everything inside...One that blows right our on the next startup(possibly carrying some crap with it). If you were to try it I wouldn't add it to your tank and go riding, but mix up a 1/2gal with like 6-8oz of Marvels (or atf), and hook to an auxillary tank and just run sitting still. You could throttle it to work the KIPS. Well, you are goign to have to throttle it, and it will be 4-stroking like a PIG.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project