KIPS advice for a dummy

Got questions? We got answers....
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KIPS advice for a dummy

Post by jackpiner57 »

I took the KIPS apart and used carb cleaner to clean things up on the cylinder. I think maybe the cleaner did something to the seals because they are wrinkled now. Maybe they will dry and go back to normal? Tell me if I messed up!

Also, the rods have a slot on one end. Which way do the slots point? towards the front or rear?

HELP!
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders
Vermont Motocross Association

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Slots front, groove left looking at the exhaust. You will notice one has a groove in it. Seals or gaskets?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

OK slots go towards the front. What do you mean by groove left looking at exhaust? I go by right or left as I am sitting on the bike. Example: Shift lever is on left side, rear brake on right side. What about the carb cleaner I used on the rubber seals? Is that ok or is it not the way to do it?
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I go by how you put them in.... What kind of carb cleaner eats seals?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

So the slotted ends point toward the front wheel?

The carb cleaner is Cyclo professional strength. It has acetone, toluene, xylene and methanol in it. The seal on the right side is the one that looks a little wrinkled where it contacts the main shaft. It doesn't seem to have affected the left seal.
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes and...

Yes...the professional strength stuff you buy in large quantity and not in a spray can will destroy seals if you let is soak in it. There should have been some warning on the label to this effect. The cleaner is for metal parts only.

Do you have a manual?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

This stuff comes in a large aerosol can. When I bought it I didn't realize it was professional strength. I don't want to wait another week or so for seals, so I'll put it together and hope for the best.

I have a service manual, but it doesn't show the rod ends clearly.

Thanks for the info :grin:
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I hope all turns out right! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

Thanks, I'll let you know if the seal leaks
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You straight on the subport drum/rod install? Ask further if not?

Inda's R/L is backwards from the (normal! :wink: ) 'how you sit on it' reference.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah but CC... when your puttin' 'em in...do you stand over the cylinder like your riding the bike? I don't... :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Cripes! No wonder it's so hard to see how the darn thing goes together!!

Consider the source

jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

The istallation of the KIPS was pretty simple. I just followed the directions in the manual. A flashlight was necessary to see into the sub valve hole in order to line up the center of the 2 notched teeth with the groove on the end of the rod.

Question: Do you guys use a gasket spray on the top end gaskets? If so, on the head gasket too?

Question: Inda, do you need mirrors to see where you're going? :razz:
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Usually when I'm working on the bike... I'm not riding it. Usually! :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I spray copper coat on the head gasket.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

Inda, That reminds me of an ISDE rider I met who could "change a tire in 3 minutes" and "change a head gasket while riding the bike." :wink:

CM, Thanks for the tip. How thick is that stuff?
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: head gasket

I've done it both ways..Permatex Copper Coat (spray) and no sealer at all.

Not to say that one way is absolutely better than the other, but the fact of the matter is this: The only time I've had a problem with a head gasket is when I've used a spray. Obviously, that experience does not constitute any survey/poll based on 20,000,000 riders and 40,000,000 bikes...but it is a fact.

On paper/fiber gaskets that will see any 'use' at all (meaning I may want to try to save it through multiple disassemblies..like the clutch cover gasket) I put on a thin coat of some kind'a silicone gasket maker/RTV stuff. It seals fine and usually will allow the gasket to come off in one piece without tearing/shredding.

But then..my life is tougher, so you may want to avoid any such thing. :wink:

re: how thick

It's not. It will easily run if you try to spray it on 'thick'. It's not an adhesive in the sense of the word most would think, closer to copper paint...and lacquer thin at that. It's not glue-like. Do follow the directions on the can. It does need to dry to some extent before the gasket is used.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 10:45 am Jun 01 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Copper coat seems a lot like paint. It's real thin. I haven't got a lot of experience with it, just started using it. On all my old bikes (air-cooled) I never put anything on the head gasket. I did use a very light film of RTV on the base gasket.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

Thanks CM + CC, I think I'll put the head gasket on nekkid and use something on the base gasket.
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

jackpiner57 wrote:I think I'll put the head gasket on nekkid...
Sounds a little kinky, even for me! :shock:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS