horn on a KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

horn on a KDX?

Post by scheckaet »

Is there an easy way to wire a horn on a KDX?
I was thinking about installing one just for **** and giggles, would be great when I sneak up behind people.
:mrgreen:
I don't run the head light and was wondering if I could hook a motorcycle DRZ horn up there with a switch.
Any risk to the electrical system?

thanks

Wilf
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I don't see why you couldn't, but in CO. it's legal just to use one of those squeaky ball horns to get it tagged. That should work for your purpose too. If thrill factor is what you're after just hose clamp a marine air horn to your bars and wail away.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Thanks cc I was thinking about the air horn.
My plan is to hide the horn under the # plate to remain stealthy :lol:
Air horn would be better, easier and the effect on other riders would be much more PRICELESS :supz: , but i haven't find anything I want yet. we'll see...

This might work:

http://www.bikerhiway.com/stebel-nautil ... d928b8b439
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I just meant the cheap kind that runs on cans of compressed air. If you're going the top drawer route, get one off a locomotive! Might be tough to rig up due to weight, but the videos would be in high demand. I'm not sure what tires would be best for riding in a **** stream though. I s'pose a pig farmer would have to answer to that.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:lol:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
scheckaet wrote:Thanks cc I was thinking about the air horn.
My plan is to hide the horn under the # plate to remain stealthy :lol:
Air horn would be better, easier and the effect on other riders would be much more PRICELESS :supz: , but i haven't find anything I want yet. we'll see...

This might work:

http://www.bikerhiway.com/stebel-nautil ... d928b8b439
That aint gonna work without some good current running through it

Damn thing will dim the lights on my Strom
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I might be able to get you a loco horn, but you would have to have an axle-powered compressor to run it! :supz:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

There's a guy on ADV that has one mounted on his pick-up

Fugging amazing!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I need one! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not THAT much into it.... :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I saw another video a long time ago where these young guys mounted a ship horn in the back of a pickup with an old 150lb CO2 bottle as well, filled the bottle as a holding tank, then drove around a CITY with someone taking footage. They would blow the thing sitting inbetween two huge buildings with people walking accross the street. The pedestrains were literally jumping off the ground grabbing for their ears. :partyman: They just 'burped' the horn.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Re: horn on a KDX?

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:Is there an easy way to wire a horn on a KDX?
I was thinking about installing one just for **** and giggles, would be great when I sneak up behind people.
:mrgreen:
I don't run the head light and was wondering if I could hook a motorcycle DRZ horn up there with a switch.
Any risk to the electrical system?

thanks

Wilf
I have DS kits on most of my bikes and have gotten used to using the horn to get the attention of my riding partners. It works much better than reving the engine, especially since my bikes are pretty quiet.

I've never tried running one off of AC though, all my horns and blinkers are run off of DC. You might want to check with Baja Designs or Trick Dual Sport to see what they recommend.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Horn, did alot of searching, what I came up with was pretty simple. Bought a 12volt horn from parts unlimited for $9.38. Radio shack has battery holders that hold 8AA batteries all wired in a series....12 volts. Wired through a 2 wire kill switch and there it is. I use mine for hare scrambles when people dont like to get out of my way!!!! Batteries last quite awhile and are cheap to replace. I wanted a little more volume so I added a few xtra batteries to up the voltage. Very cheap/easy/ and doesnt take up much room.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
gregp

Post by gregp »

I have a 12v horn wired up on my BD dual sported KDX. I run my kit without a battery, and the horn still works, barely. Most horns require quite a bit of current, so for your application, the auxiliary battery pack would probably make the most sense. Or you could just zip tie one of those canned air types to your bars - those things are super loud.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)