Clutch help

Got questions? We got answers....
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Clutch help

Post by chris-1742 »

Ok, I am running out of ideas and need some help here.

History:

I had to split the cases to retrieve a portion of the magnetic drain plug (different post) which had lodged against a gear. Everything has gone back together great, clutch basket looks good (no grooving), plates still within spec. Clutch springs are due to be replaced, spec. is 37.2mm minimum free length, mine are from 36.04 to 36.21 mm. Cable is in good shape with stock routing.

Now here is the problem...with all connected ready to ride, as I pull the clutch lever in or "disengage" the clutch, the clutch actually engages fully.

With the engine off and in 1st gear and no hand on the clutch, the roll should leave the rear skidding on the concrete instead, the clutch" drags" as would be the case with the clutch lever pulled. When I do pull the lever while the clutch is "dragging" it will leave the skid mark....something is Basakwards and I have been at it for several hours now and waisting a Great day for a ride!

Any thoughts ?
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Clutch doesn't work for poo with the motor off. Try it with the engine running.
kevfort19

Post by kevfort19 »

with some type of oil when the transmission is cold the clutch stil don'T work when the engine is not running. Mine is that. When the engine is cold and i try to move the bike in 1st gear with the cluth pulled it does the same thing that if i don't touch the clutch. but when the engine is hot, it works just fine
KDX 220 2001 =)

Don'T drink and drive...just give some gas and fly :D
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

Juliend,

Tried it Saturday, samething...kills with clutch lever in, just like it should with the lever out.

I can ride it (sort of) with clutch pulled in, let loose the lever and its "disengaged".

What could be causing the "reversal" of operation? Something I did wrong with the with the clutch reassembly?

Same tranny oil 10-40, room temp. 65 F.
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I dunno, that shouldn't really be possible. Something is def not right obviously. I'd tear it back down and check everything out then try again. You have a service manual i hope? The order of parts in there is quite important.
Grayhorse

Post by Grayhorse »

I just had the same problem. What worked for me was to totaly unhook the clutch cable from the actuator shaft. I dont know why but if you try to bolt on the clutch cover with the cable attached it doesn't work for some reason. try it, good luck.
96 KDX 200 H2
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Something did not go together in the right order, that's for sure.
Study the parts diagram carefully. There is a washer between the clutch pack and the basket that likes to fall out, there is a funny spring plate that goes on the clutch pack last, easy to put on upside down.

I usually have to try three times before I get it right!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

Thanks Carl, I do hope that three is the charm...

I have the cyclepedia manual, great photos and all but possibly lacking for detail? Is the factory version better?

Have a good one!

Chris
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Is the clutch actuation lever on the case in the correct position?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

Hey all, here is what happened. I took the clutch assembly apart, again, and found that the clutch hub was not fully seated against the clutch housing, maybe 1 mm off and binding the plates slightly causing the issue.

All fixed, reassembled and tested. works as it did prior..1- 1/2 finger pull and smooth.

Wednesday is the day to play with the NEWLY BORED RB carb , cut Head and 607 reeds. I don`t know if I can sleep tonight....

Thanks to all!!
Chris
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....