Bike for my 13 year old?

Got questions? We got answers....
chopper_guy
Supporting Member

Bike for my 13 year old?

Post by chopper_guy »

My 13 year old son outgrew is YZ80 during the riding season last year. He spent a lot of time on my 200 as a result. The transition was painless for him. He's a much better overall rider than his father. This will be his 5th season riding.

For this season, he'll be on a different bike. I considered the KX100, but suspect he will outgrow the bike pretty fast. I have been considering 125's and 250's instead. Our riding is purely recreational with a mix of field riding where we've built some jumps, table tops, etc. Nothing huge.

I found a 2001 KX250 for sale locally that has been set up for woods riding. It has an 18 inch rear wheel, and 9 oz flywheel weight and all the appropriate guards.

I'm wondering if this bike might be a decent option for the kid. Thoughts on this model year KX as well as the step from a YZ80 to a KX250 for an experienced 13 year old would be appreciated. Thanks
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Any reason you ruled out another KDX?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I don't know your son, but I know I wouldn't put any 13 y/o kid of mine on a 250 2t. Another 200 would be a good stepping stone. Quite a bit more forgiving than the 250.

125's are nice, but they blow through top ends pretty quickly. Luckily piston and ring sets are not that pricey. My neighbor has his 14 y/o on a CRF230 and it's a decent machine, but I tend to shy away from 4 strokes for the most part.
chopper_guy
Supporting Member

Post by chopper_guy »

Guess I should have said I haven't. The kid likes the jumps and this got me thinking along the lines of a MX'er converted for woods. With a fork swap would the KDX make a reasonable jumper? I understand the suspension setup for jumping will be stiff for the woods. But, he's young and seems to take the beating pretty well.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, the kdx jumps much better with some MX forks installed. the rear suspension actually does pretty well as it is.

I suppose a 250 2t mellowed out with a flywheel weight might not be too bad. Again, I don't know your son! If he's riding really well on your 200 he might do ok on a 250? It's nice to stick with a 2 stroke just for low maintenance.

I've been seeing a lot of killer deals on 00+ KTM 200 xc's lately. That's probably gonna be my next bike.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If an old fart like Skipro can ride a 250, certainly a 13 year old can handle one
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:If an old fart like Skipro can ride a 250, certainly a 13 year old can handle one
:lol: :lol:
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
chopper_guy
Supporting Member

Post by chopper_guy »

Yeah, I'm stuck on the 2T's. Cost to maintain is hard to beat. Kid has no trouble at all with the 200. He handles the size/weight well. The power delivery of the 250 seems like the biggest factor. I have no experience with the FWW and what that might take off the hit.
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

It will smooth things out a bit, and give it better bottom end grunt, but it will still be a 250. Trust me! I have thrown all kind of $$$ at my 02 CR250 to make it a woods machine, but it will never have the power delivery of my KDX 250. It is very ridable though. My vote would be a 100 big bore, 125/144 big bore KX or................drum roll............a KDX!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Def nothing smaller than a 125 from the sounds of it. All field riding lends itself to a MXer, but a 250 is pretty wicked. At the same time he'll probably be all over a 250 in two years. As mentioned a KDX with upgraded front 'spenders would be great if mixed woods riding is the goal.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
chopper_guy
Supporting Member

Post by chopper_guy »

Really appreciate the input. For our riding, sounds like I ought to refocus and look for a KDX with immediate plans for a fork swap. Thanks!