TCR Hub polishing/turning down

Got questions? We got answers....
SteveWR450f

TCR Hub polishing/turning down

Post by SteveWR450f »

During this winter, I have been tearing down and rebuilding my 2 kdx 220s. Both bikes have kxf fork conversion and RB Mods. Frame is getting powder coated.

So now turning to the wheels/hubs. . .

1) Wheels.

Have standard Takasago rims. (04 kdx 220 rear rim; 05 KXF 250 front rim) I have read that companies, such as TCR Wheellacing (www.
tcrwheellacing.com), can anodize Excel rims.

I have OEM Takasago rims. Not sure if my rims can be annodized. Dont know if Takasago OEM rims are 100% alum. that can be anodized. Anyone know? Even though I ride woods, I am leaning towards either redoing my rims black (anodize) or get new black excel rims.

2) Hubs.

TCR also can turn down your stock hubs and the polish. They even can do nice black or mag. coating. Anyone do this before? Can this be done on OEM KDX rear hub. I have seen pictures of 450s.

Does removing the casting lines increase or decrease the strength of the hub? I have heard mixed things on this but it looks nice (decrease strength hub vs. remove fracture areas).

Thanks for your time. Steve
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: TCR Hub polishing/turning down

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
SteveWR450f wrote: Does removing the casting lines increase or decrease the strength of the hub? I have heard mixed things on this but it looks nice (decrease strength hub vs. remove fracture areas).
I thought about removing that bit too but was told it might weaken the hub so I gave it up, and just filed down some of the casting marks.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Removing the ridges would weaken the hub somewhat for sure. I don't know if it would be enough to matter? :hmm:

I think it would be fine. I'm somewhat paranoid so I doubt I would do it. They look pretty good as is if you anodize or powder coat. I personally think powder coating looks better than anodizing, but it's all personal preference there.

Tagasako / Excel are the same company. The aftermarket excel rims are made from stronger aluminum than the factory excel tagasako rims. They should be 100% aluminum and anodize just fine.
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Thanks. Might get the rims done and likely just clean up the stock hubs. Thanks for your input.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!