Removing Head Pipe Bearing Races

Got questions? We got answers....
heckler

Post by heckler »

Does anyone have the part number off a set of headset bearings? They sure look a lot like the SKF or NTN bearings I just bought for my trailer for $10 a piece.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

I will be replacing the steering stem lower bearing soon. I have read that the proper method of removing the lower bearing is to press the steering stem out. I am using the KX fork triple now and it had gone through pressing once.

My question is by going to the proper method of removing the lower bearing, does it harm the triple which is made of aluminium by pressing in and out again? I have noticed that some aluminium metal actually is being scrape out when doing my fork conversion stem removal. maybe some heating might help?
A true KDX customizer!!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Another tried and true way to remove a bearing race from any thing is to lay a bead of weld around the middle of the race all the way around. The heat from the weld will not expand the race too much but when the race cools down it will shrink and many times it will just fall out. But you do need a welder to do this.