Removing Head Pipe Bearing Races

Got questions? We got answers....
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Removing Head Pipe Bearing Races

Post by SOARSKI »

I've got triple tree removed and ready to send to RB for stem pressing. It seemed to have an adequate amount of grease. The bottom bearing and race looked good. The top bearing showed some rust on one side and the outer race closest to the rider shows signs of wear(marring and pitting).

1. Should the steering stem bearings be replaced in pairs or can get away with just replacing the one that looks bad? Where can I get a replacement bearing, OEM from RonAyers or cheaper aftermarket elsewhere, CBR?

2. How do I remove the outer race from the head pipe without buying kawasaki's special tool. Somewhere in my reading I seem to remember a home built tool out of a short section of pipe with 4 cuts length wise distributed evenly around the circumference. The pipe was flared at the cut end so when the pipe is inserted though the head pipe the flared end is compressed down as it passes through the outer race then expands and seats itself on the lip of the base of the race as it passes though. Then hammer the on the pipe from the opposite end. Doses this work well? What kind of pipe to use? Is it difficult to make? What to use to make the cuts? OR Is there another way to accomplish this task? Does heating the head pipe help install and removal of the race?

BTW I have a steering stem bearing that looks good if you guys think the existing race can still be used. see pic

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I used a big ol screwdriver to pound the old races out. It was real easy...

I replaced everything when I did my conversion.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I use a drift and a small sledge
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I used a round steel rod and a 2lb sledge. Worked like a charm. I'd go ahead and replace them both.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

That race will come out if you use a long punch and go at it from below. The punch will catch that edge, whack it all the way around, it'll come out.

On the other hand, I'd be tempted to clean up that race and run it......I would not use that bearing, though.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:That race will come out if you use a long punch and go at it from below. The punch will catch that edge, whack it all the way around, it'll come out.

On the other hand, I'd be tempted to clean up that race and run it......I would not use that bearing, though.
I was thinking the same thing. Whats the worse that could happen? The race gets more worn and the extra bearing I have may just wear out prematurely. Then I can replace it maybe next year.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Race looks like crapola to me

You have it apart, and it aint the easiest thing to get to, since just about everything on the front end has to be taken apart, so why not do it right and replace both the bearings and the races?

Less than $30 for a head bearing kit
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Mr Wibbens - where do you get the steering head bearing set for under $30? I was just ready to buy a set and it was in the mid $30's. Geez, what a cheap SOB I am...
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Got it at a local bike shop
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

I priced just the top bearing and race at RonAyers and it was 24 bones.

I hear a few talk about some bearing not worth installing.

I was trying to avoid 50 bones for both bearing sets as I"m doing the fork conversion, revalving, and sending all my stuff to RB.

Reading this site is costing me way to much money :shock:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
SOARSKI wrote: Reading this site is costing me way to much money :shock:
Yeah, but think about all the fun you'll have :mrgreen: and all the money you'll save on therapy :rolleyes:
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

>|<>QBB<
SOARSKI wrote:Reading this site is costing me way to much money :shock:
Think of it this way...

If YOU don't spend it, someone else in your house WILL.

Besides, what could be better than spending money on your bikes, hmm?
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I used these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki ... 3a57bd2919

No problems so far. Seemed to be fine quality, we'll see how they hold up. Some don't like All Balls, but I've used them in many bikes and never had a problem.

J.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Only person I know that bitches about All Balls aint showing his ugly mug around these parts no more :wink:

And I'm pretty sure it was all based on his opinion and not any kind of facts
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

Just replaced mine with "All Balls", was told that three of the top manufacutres of bearing use the same bearing... just with their name and packaging. Mine cost $28.00 plus $10.00 if I wanted old press off and replace with new pressed on.

Cheap when considering the time to pry off the old ( and the potential damage to the lower triple with the chizel at the bearing seat).

I don`t know much, but I would toss the Race and Bearings for new and BelRay grease (waterproof) the new heavy.

Edit: That price was for top AND bottom bearing and Races
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

a rail road spike works good to catch a lip on races.. ie "universal farm punch"
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

That bearing race is finished, you should change it. Find a good quality punch that is long enough to get the race out and use the old race to put it back in. The parts and the right tools will pay for them selves especialy if maintained properly.

Leave that race in place and you'll be changing the bearing again next year.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Eh, that race looks like it would clean up just fine. A bit of rust left behind by the bearing, but no notching or worn lip that I can see. Clean it up and hit it with some wet dry paper and it'd probably work fine. Would be easier to say with it all cleaned up. I've seen much worse, anyway.

I see no point in re-using it though, since your new bearing will come with a new race. $30 shipped for all balls, just do it!
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

>|<>QBB<
barryadam wrote:>|<>QBB<
SOARSKI wrote:Reading this site is costing me way to much money :shock:
Think of it this way...

If YOU don't spend it, someone else in your house WILL.

Besides, what could be better than spending money on your bikes, hmm?
Hell ya she WILL!

Bearings are on their way along with a few other goodies from MXSouth. It's like Christmas all over again.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Good deal!