Fork theory question

Got questions? We got answers....
bezoar
Supporting Member

Fork theory question

Post by bezoar »

I have my 2002 KYB forks apart replacing the seals. I was considering getting softer spring than the .41s ( I weigh 170 ). I am looking for a soft ride, not doing any big jumps. A guy who does alot of work on bikes around here told me to keep those springs because they will be softer at slow speeds.

He reasoned that a softer spring is going to ride lower than a stiffer spring. The lower riding fork ( softer spring ) is spending more time in the mid-stroke. The mid-stroke is harsher due to the air that is compressed in the tube.

The stiffer spring rides higher where there is less compressed air in the tube. This is the softest part of the action. Obviously there is a point where the spring is way too stiff and the ride will be harsh.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting. Any other thoughts on this?

Once again, this is a great site!
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I ran into a simular situation as well. I was thinking the forks on my KX 250 were too stiff and I couldn't seem to make them any better with clicker adjustments.

The local suspension guy told me to put in stiffer springs and it will make the front end feel softer cause it will ride higher in the stroke.

I put stiffer springs in and sure enough it did make my forks feel much softer.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch