A Piece Of History VCGP

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

A Piece Of History VCGP

Post by KDX4ID »

I'm considering doing this race on my KDX!
I'll get killed on the straights, but can make up mad time in the tights and bottle necks!

Whaddaya think?

http://www.vcgp.com/
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Why not?

The KDX will do fine. You are not looking for puse money, right?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Duke

Post by Duke »

If you re planning on racing the vet/senior class, especially in the C or B level, then you might do better then expected as it is common for these class of riders to find themselves worn out from riding a more physically taxing machine. I have found that one of the most overlooked keys in being competitive is physical fitness, and good solid application of proper riding basics. A lot of riders have neither and/or ignore these principles and instead rely on buying expensive add ons to a bike that already possess performance that greatly exceeds their skill. There have been countless chronicling's of riders with superior riding skills competing on outdated bikes lapping those seated atop the latest and greatest the dealer has to offer. In scanning the Grand Prix site I noticed in the photo section at least 3 riders competing on a KDX. It would be intriguing to learn how they finished. In the 80's and early 90's, the Virginia GP was deemed one of the big off road events in its day with all the dirt rags offering decent coverage
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I hear the Theme Song for Bonaza Playing. Stop by the Saloon & have a Shot with Hoss & Little Joe Cartwright... :supz:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Duke

Post by Duke »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:I hear the Theme Song for Bonaza Playing. Stop by the Saloon & have a Shot with Hoss & Little Joe Cartwright... :supz:
Yea, Little Joe who is 28, Hoss 31, Adam the oldest at 34 and the patriarch father 40?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I raced the VCGP over a dozen times, most were done on a KDX...but a KX250 works better simply due to it's geometry - (rake and wheelbase). It really depends on the way the course is designed. A kdx is a relative handful in rocks and is not confidence inspiring at speed - but - it can be made to work if it's setup for the course. I'd recommend dropping the forks in the triples some to gain stability. Back off the compression in the forks some from where they are set if you normally don't ride in rocky areas and do jumps, etc. You might even want to set up your handlebars for a little more rearward and relaxed seating position. Experiment. A tip; ride hard continuously for at least 2 hours at a pop to get used to the bike setup and to build endurance, preferably in rocky terrain. Endurance is key in this race. I'd to that every weekend up until the race.

When I was forty they let me ride the 200 novice class on a KDX and I trophied, I also trophied in the vet novice class on a KDX. I wasn't competitive on a KDX in the higher classes at VC so I rode a 250 in those. No matter what you ride you will likely get mucho tired.

Good luck!
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Just go enter and ride the race. Go as fast as you can, set your goal on finishing, and have fun.
If you don't finish well, hey, what did they expect, your "on a KDX". If you finish well, everybody will think your a god, because you finished well "on a KDX". It's a no loose proposition. :lol:
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

Looks like a great time. 30 miles of one way track. Win or lose it'll be a blast.
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad