Scotts damper install

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Scotts damper install

Post by wanaride »

I haven't installed my new Scotts damper yet but I scanned the install instructions and saw something about the need for sanding down the inner part of a mounting hole on the triple clamp.

I have a 2003 KDX200...will I need to buy a Dremel moto-tool in order to put this thing on?
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I used a grinder and a file to take out the extra material... you just have to make room for the bolt-on rod mount on the bottom of your triple trees where the barmounts go though.... I have some pictures somewhere.... m0rie has them now....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Indawoods wrote:I used a grinder and a file to take out the extra material... you just have to make room for the bolt-on rod mount on the bottom of your triple trees where the barmounts go though.... I have some pictures somewhere.... m0rie has them now....
I was wondering why those were ground up like that...now I know :mrgreen:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's a pic! Not to clear but what is circled is what you have to take away... just enough so that the frontend will turn without hitting the mount...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

See m0rie... your all setup to get a Scotts now! I did ya a favor! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

One other thing... you will have to lose the dust seal too....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Indawoods wrote:See m0rie... your all setup to get a Scotts now! I did ya a favor! :lol:
Ha! Thanks Inda, I love getting "value added" parts! :wink:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Scott's used to include a dust seal replacement...a thinner one that would work fine with their post mount.

They don't do that any more? Maybe just not for the KDX?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Wana, how did your install go? I'll be doin it Wednesday.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Bradf, the install went very smoothly. The instruction sheet they send is all you need; the "installation manual" is basically only for operating instructions.

Be sure that when you install the frame bracket (circular metal piece with an attached vertical piece) that the vertical piece is towards the gas tank and centered on the frame.

Turns out that I didn't need that Dremel tool to grind down the nubs on the underside of the triple clamp...a simple file did the trick. I used Scotts' recommended odometer install; you'll see it listed in the instructions. It looks cleaner mounted that way and I'm glad I did it.

The only problem I had was when I slipped the triple clamp off the forks to check how good my grinding was. When I removed the triple clamp to finish the grinding, I ended up pulling the upper steering stem bearing out and the steering stem became disoriented in the steering tube. You'll probably figure this out when you install yours.

Piece of cake, even with a cast on my left wrist! Lord willing that cast is coming off tomorrow...I can't wait 'cause I WANARIDE!!! :supz:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Well it's on! Pretty easy too. And as you said, "I can't wait cause I wanaride"!!!!
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Did you grease your rod? :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Oh yes! And the bearings again. So, where are all your adjusters set?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The stabilizer rod... it says to grease it, I didn't when I had it on my other frontend but re-read the instuctions when I mounted it on the KX frontend and saw it. Couldn't find any wear on it but went ahead and greased it anyway.

My adjusters change with the environment. Start on the soft side of things for the base valve until you get used to it. And do not mess with the High Speed valve until you get the feel of the unit (it's set from the factory to a pretty satisfactory position). Not that you can tell it's doing anything because it is not a felt thing...but when you change it to a harder setting...you can tell.

To test.... and yes this takes some balls... lighten your grip when going across ruts, rocks and such... then you will see what it does.... It's amazing!~
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Lucky for me, I have a perfect test site "Walker Valley" that breeds, raises, and exports roots, rocks, and ruts. I'm thinking it's time to go back to a few trails that have kicked my ass and made me turn around in the first 100 feet.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

the most i have went on the hsv is 1/4 turn stiffer and run the bv between 5-8 clicks out.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's a testiment to the Scotts....

I went riding this weekend and was running on a front flat tire the entire time.... The Scotts kept me upright and it really wasn't much of a bother at all! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****