Is there a hose . . . . .

Got questions? We got answers....
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Is there a hose . . . . .

Post by ihatefalling »

I'm going on a ride this weekend with a LOT of water crossings. SOme will be pretty deep. So I'm worried about waterproofing the intake to prevent drowning.

I plan on sealing off the drain on the bottom of the airbox, putting a little grease in the spark plug boot but I wonder about the carb.

I guess I could put some grease around the lip of the boots where the carb is mounted. Is there a hose coming off the carb I should be worried about? I know on my DRZ they say to turn one of those vent hoses "up" so it doesn't get under water. Should I do that on one of the hoses on my KDX? Make sense? Thanks . . .
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I would not seal off the airbox drain
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I use to run all the hoses coming off the carb into the airbox to keep them from sucking off dirt
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I use to run all the hoses coming off the carb into the airbox to keep them from sucking off dirt
You'd want to leave the bowl overflow tube hanging down thought, correct?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Come to think of it, I think it was the only one that wasn't in the air box.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

OK...thanks...I'll route them up.

I guess the one that spews gas when you tip the bike over is the bowl overflow right?
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

probably
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I would not seal off the airbox drain
ditto
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I wouldn't seal that air box drain, either. I wish I could find a better one, though. The ones on older Hondas seemed to be more effective. They looked like a pinched off tube.
If you get a little water in the top of your airbox and it CAN'T drain out right away you'll have a problem.

The only hose I'd worry about is the vent hose from the gear box. I doubt water will make it up the carb vent hoses.

I was at a race once with a pretty deep water crossing. Course workers were pretty insistent that we get off and walk the bikes across. They wanted us to stay upstream of the bike and stay between some ropes they had strung across. It went O.K.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Hmmm......

OK....can you help me with this.....sometimes when i hit a longer water crossing (not just a puddle) the bike will stall. 2-3 kicks later she'll fire back up. Wonder what it could be?

The boot that's on my airbox drain has lost it's shape, so it doesn't keep water out by any means. That's why I thought I should seal it off. I thought it might be the culprit of the water stalls...water getting into the airbox from the bottom. That got me thinking about the vent hoses too.....
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The boot that's on my airbox drain has lost it's shape, so it doesn't keep water out by any means. That's why I thought I should seal it off. I thought it might be the culprit of the water stalls...water getting into the airbox from the bottom. That got me thinking about the vent hoses too.....
It could be that water is getting up through the drain. It's not supposed to. I always thought that drain thing was kind of cheesy. I had a plan to look through some of the junk bikes at the local shop and see what is used on other bikes. I like the Honda one but don't know if it fits.

The drain valve thing just slips on the spigot sticking out of the bottom of the air box. One should be able to find something else.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

If your engine is at total idle speed when hitting the water it may just stall from the massive/rapid temp change in the pipe/case/cyl. Keep revs up, and use clutch control.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project