GPS, wich one?

Got questions? We got answers....
Grayhorse

GPS, wich one?

Post by Grayhorse »

I'm considering a GPS unit but the more I read the more confused I get. I guess I don't understand what the minimum functions I can get by with are. I dont what to break the bank but I dont what a piece of crap either. Wich model is the best bang for buck?
96 KDX 200 H2
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I own the Garmin eTrex Legend, HCx. It's the portable model used for hiking, hunting, biking, etc. It doesn't come with street level maps, but you can "buy" that online later. It's OK how it comes, but once City Navigator is installed, this thing comes alive. Turn-by-Turn directions (no voice though), points of interest (gas stations, movies, ATMs, entertainment, etc). You can turn on Tracks which records your every movement. You can then download these Tracks and superimpose them on Google Earth to see where you've ridden. Like this: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=387784

If you get one of these models, make sure its the HCx version. The HCx have the better (high res) antenna.

I also have the RAM Mounting system for my KDX. Check out my review of it. http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

That's good information. You're making me want to get one now.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

Grayhorse, sent you a PM.
Grayhorse

Post by Grayhorse »

Thanks for the info!!
96 KDX 200 H2
jth

Post by jth »

I also have a Garmin eTrex Legend, HCx. Make shure to get the unit + Topo software bundled with it. I felt the basic maps that came in the unit are VERY lacking. To buy the Topo software (Topographical maps) additionally is another $90. I found that out the hard way.

Also, be ready for a learning curve. It’s cool when you get the hang of it. I use it allot, biking, hunting, where I parked the car at the state fair… :supz:
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I got the Garmin Oregon series. Touch screen which makes it easier to use with gloves on. Frankly, any Garmin is the way to go!! Very reliable.

Also, Ram mount is the best mounting system I have found.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
longshore58

Any Garmin should do you fine.......

Post by longshore58 »

ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

True that on the learning curve. Instructions and website are not user friendly.

Ram mounts are the way to go to. $50 to get into one but they are tough as nails. I would hate to look down, see gps is gone and try to find that sucker. For that matter....buying a yellow on is probably a good idea.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

Check out the 60cx at costco for 220 bones

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... =C&topnav=

It's a very popular model used by riders. It's durable and weather proof. It doesn't have the electronic compass but most people I talk to don't use the compass part. I've read many complaints about the oregons not being bright enough(hard to see in day light and shadows) and issues with the power cord. You can read a wealth of info on this unit and any other imaginable at advrider.com

direct link to gps forum

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

On the 60 becareful of the antenae when bar mounted. I've seen two personally that were caught by the brake hose and ripped off. I prefer the e-trex vista hcx and ram mount. I do use the electronic compass feature. With out the compass you have to be moving to get heading info. Not a big deal while riding, but I am usually stopped when I am looking at the GPS. It also comes in handy when hiking and geocaching with the same unit.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
raisedinal

Post by raisedinal »

I'm probably going to make a new post but because its because of GPS's has anyone built an accessory plug for their GPS or hard wired it to their KDX? I have one on my XR650R but I have using the KDX in trails a whole lot more and would love to track some of my exploring so I can find them again? (I can use batteries but would love to have bike power if possible!

Thanks in advance!
2002 KDX220, Wiseco piston, RB Head and Carb, FMF Rev, 0.41 fork springs in stock forks.