Front Suspension Recommendation

Got questions? We got answers....
Tomm9050

Front Suspension Recommendation

Post by Tomm9050 »

I'm in the market for front suspension advice and recommendations.

I checked with RaceTech and they want almost $500 to put in new springs, gold valves, oil and seals. The seems like more than the bike's worth.

What's the next best thing? I could change the springs and oil but what's the best set up? 1992 KDX 200, with damper style forks ,160 lbs rider, SoCal desert riding.

Best springs an spring rate? Oil wt. and ht.? preload?

Thanks!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Racetech's spring rate calculator is a good place to start http://old.racetech.com/evalving/englis ... me=english

Some people think racetech's recommendations are a little to stiff but in my case they were spot on IMHO and all...

On my 92 KDX200 I'm running .46 Race Tech springs 10w - 140mm
I weigh 270 nekkid
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Get a kx front end. 96 or newer :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

wibbens nekkid. thx for that image.... :neutral:
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Thanks Wibbie, I just pictured ET sans clothing sitting on a KDX. :butthead:
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

I think the topics MY front end not webbin's rear
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Easy now, fuzzy little man peach!

Seriously though, we joke around a lot here. You'll get some good advice too. Take them both in good humor and you'll love it 'round here.

I'm seconding, thirding, and fourthing the kx front end. Or any other newer mx/enduro front end for that matter. You'd be surprised what you can make work. The money is better spent there. Take a long gander through the fork conversion section.

If you're not open to that option and want to focus on what you have, racetech's spring calculator and race tech springs to match your weight is the best place to start (like Mr Wibbens said up there ^!). Then you can start looking into shim stack mods instead of gold valves and save some money that way while still seeing marked improvements. Personally I still say ditch those KDX forks. They suck.

Someone's prolly gonna slap me for that last bit.....
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

They suck so bad Fredette ran em for years :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I KNEW IT!

lol, yeah. You can make them work well, for sure. Freddette had more time and money in his than I was willing to put into mine though, i have no doubt. Heck even stock with the right springs they excel on the slow and gnarly stuff. I just have too much tendency to wanna go fast, and at speed when it's rough they are lacking to say the least.

C'mon though Wibb, you know you wanna do a fork swap! Admit it!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Not even slightly interested

When I go to USD forks the bike will be a different color
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

I was trying to improve without going the whole KX swap route.
1992 KDX 200; RB head; Fatty pipe; stock carb; Stock silencer

40 / 150 / CGK pos 3
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Not even slightly interested

When I go to USD forks the bike will be a different color
Blashpemy! What color? Orange?

>|<>QBB<
Tomm9050 wrote:I was trying to improve without going the whole KX swap route.
Right on. Like Mr Wibbens said 1st, start with the springs. Race tech is good, or go through FRP, Fredette will have you on a bit lighter spring for your weight most likely when compared to race tech's recommendation. Oil is gonna make a big difference on rebound. You'll want to get the springs sorted, make sure the seals and bushings are good, and ride it. You probably don't want to make valving or oil changes until you can ride it correctly sprung and determine what it needs according to the way you ride.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

It would be interesting to know the current condition of your stock forks. I agree with juliend about cutting to the chase and throw on a set of KX forks because it can cost less than what Racetech quoted you and you end up with more advanced and more adjustable forks, no matter what that Wookie says.

There is no doubt that you can make improvements to your stock forks though, and I can tell you I rode a set of conventional Showas that were very nice.

Bear in mind that Kawi has a reputation for horrible slop put in the forks at the factory. I don't know if it's from their vendor or Kawi themselves, but I bought a brandy new 2004 KDX 220, rode it for about 6 months in arid Colorado conditions, and then changed the fork oil. What I found in those things looked like it was out of a science fiction movie. I can only imagine the damage that would be done to them if you ran with that pond snot in there for a few years.

If you decide to keep the stockers, I would recommend you get a set of RaceTech or Honda XR springs for your weight and of the right length so you don't need the idiotic 3" pre-load spacers Kawi specs, and clean out your forks. Put in a high quality oil and maybe remove one of the largest shims to start with. See what you think and go from there.

I did that and saw a big improvement. Then I rode a few bikes with USD forks and did the conversion. I noticed quite a bit of improvement with that. I really would like to sort it out even more, but haven't found the time. I do feel safer on what I have now, but I bet you can get close to the same feeling with the stockers with a lot more work.

If you ride in deep ruts or lots of big rocks like I do, don't waste your time. the underhang of the stockers will put you on your head.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Oh yeah! Orange baby! I wanta 300 w/magic button, plated. I just don't wanna pay 8 grand for one. So I'll wait....

The underhang has never been an issue for me, my footpegs dig in and high center me long before the forks ever get stuck
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If it works out for you ATF is the way to go on fork oil. It does not seem to break down at all. Mine came out after 4 or 5 years looking as it it did when I put it in. Unfortunately it just was not heavy enough to slow down the action of my .46 springs
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Wibbie, I don't know if you have ridden the KTM 300. I almost bought one instead of the KDX. The motor on the 300 is awesome. I gotta tell you every thing else mostly sux though. I feel way more comfortable on the KDX because I don't feel like I'm riding on a razor blade. I can steer with both ends and make mistakes without paying the price. The KDX is just very forgiving and less demanding. It would be awesome if Kawi would get back in the game with an updated KDX. Good suspension, reliability, little meatier motor, but with the same over all feel, for $3K less than the exotic bikes.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Never ridden one but know a few good riders that seem to like theirs
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:If it works out for you ATF is the way to go on fork oil. It does not seem to break down at all. Mine came out after 4 or 5 years looking as it it did when I put it in. Unfortunately it just was not heavy enough to slow down the action of my .46 springs

What wt. do you recommend? for .38-.40 springs? or is it all the same?
Any particular brand?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd probably try the ATF, hell of a lot cheaper than fork oil, so if you don't like it you could try something heavier. I think atf is something like 7 or 7.5 w
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

"It would be interesting to know the current condition of your stock forks."

I'm the 3rd owner of this '92 and there's only 500 miles on the odo so
I think they are almost new, but they are really soft.
1992 KDX 200; RB head; Fatty pipe; stock carb; Stock silencer

40 / 150 / CGK pos 3