fork setup?

Got questions? We got answers....
coffekid

fork setup?

Post by coffekid »

spent all my money on motor mods so I wont be able to kx my front-end till august. My question is what is the best set-up for my stock fork, i don't want to buy springs, I just figure that is 100.00 bucks toward the kx forks.I weigh 210 w/out gear. Aggressive trail riding primarily.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your kinda stuck.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: fork setup?

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
coffekid wrote:spent all my money on motor mods so I wont be able to kx my front-end till august. My question is what is the best set-up for my stock fork, i don't want to buy springs, I just figure that is 100.00 bucks toward the kx forks.I weigh 210 w/out gear. Aggressive trail riding primarily.
I toldja Susp first... ;) After the piston of course.

pipe and other bits will be in by next w/e Fork should be installed by then. If I am not stuck all weekend doing Valentines duty maybe we can ride.
coffekid

Post by coffekid »

Fa sho Inda. If there is one thing I should of learned by now is to listen to the guy that is shootin the roost to ya! (frankenschwinn) I was wanting to change the fork oil, is a little heavier on the weight any better or the oil height make a noticable difference?
trex

forks

Post by trex »

I have heavy springs (235 lb) and clickers with gold valves for $175
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'd search around on here for information on the XR400 springs. They made a big difference for me. I'm at 175 lb and I used the lighter of the stock XR springs (.40 maybe?.42 is the other?)

I also had best results with about a 7.5 wght oil. I mixed 50/50 5 and 10 wght. An oil change will make them work better, but still....

If you really don't want to change springs you are kind of stuck. It'll be exciting to be agressive with the stock springs.

Keep in mind, someone might want your old KDX forks later, especially if they come with a choice of springs.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

I'm in the market for similar advice and recommendations.

I checked with RaceTech and they want almost $500 to put in new springs, gold valves, oil and seals. The seems like more than the bike's worth.

What's the next best thing? I could change the springs and oil but what's the best set up? 1992 KDX 200, with damper style forks ,160 lbs rider, SoCal desert riding.

Best springs an spring rate? Oil wt. and ht.? preload?

Thanks!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Do a search on here. The XR400 springs (OEM, mind you) are a lot better than the OEM springs if you are much over 140 lb

$500 is way too much to spend on those forks. They can be made to work pretty well, but for that money a pair of KX forks makes more sense.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Tomm9050 wrote:I'm in the market for similar advice and recommendations.

I checked with RaceTech and they want almost $500 to put in new springs, gold valves, oil and seals. The seems like more than the bike's worth.

What's the next best thing? I could change the springs and oil but what's the best set up? 1992 KDX 200, with damper style forks ,160 lbs rider, SoCal desert riding.

Best springs an spring rate? Oil wt. and ht.? preload?

Thanks!

Best to start your own thread instead of hijacking this one

(Did I just say that? :wink: )
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS