How do you start a KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
river
Supporting Member

How do you start a KDX?

Post by river »

OK, believe it or not I have not tried to even start my KDX since I got it around Jan 5. My doc did not give me the OK to ride yet but I am off the crutches so I took the cast off and tried to start it.

I have BAD news: the kick starter slams into the foot peg. Ouch! :shock: WHAT? Jeez!!

But, no start. It ran fine when the seller rode it around, and restarted fine. I asked him not to start it the day I came and it felt cold when he kicked it over. But that doesn't mean he didn't get it going before I arrived. Anyway, I just loaded it up after he rode it and put it in my storage unit til now.

With the throttle open, it gives a hollow sound when turning over. With throttle closed, it just sounds dead. No sign of catching at all. Probably kicked 50 times or so. Getting gas, in fact the petcock leaks like a sieve. Ordered new seals.

So....I can't find the choke either. Yeesh, I'm a dummy. Two strokes have chokes, right? I seem to remember from my tire store salesman days that Lawn Boy mowers had chokes, and they were two strokes.

Anyway, even if the sucker didnt' start, it was a blast to finally stradle it and start kicking, except the footpeg. Compared to my XR it feels like a bicycle.

Any carb pics around here that might show a choke? I hesitate to get the online manual, I read it has errors (?) and want to buy a hard copy manual when a good deal comes along. Any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks all.
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

the choke has a green circle around it.. only difference is the one on your bike wont have the green circle around it!
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

Hm, I thought that might be it, but I'm used to a lever. Do you screw it in? Anyway I'll figure it out now that I know.
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

you may try spraying some starter fluid in the air filter, not the best for it. but its better than not running. i dont no if its really cold where you live it will be harder to start
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

I rode my KDX around my neighborhood a bunch after I had broke my leg in the bull ridin.. luckily it was my left leg so I could sit on the bike and kick it. I could crutch out to my bike and leave the crutches where I could ride right back to them. Good thing I never stalled! Shoulda got a pic Im sure I looked like a goon
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
river wrote:Hm, I thought that might be it, but I'm used to a lever. Do you screw it in? Anyway I'll figure it out now that I know.
Pull it UP!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

OK, I'm a bonafide dummy. :rolleyes: But soon I get to ride, so I'm a happy bonafide dummy. :lol:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I assume it started once you turned the choke on?
river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

Nope, it's in my storage unit and I'm back at home. Will report back...
river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

>|QBB<[/url]
bronco95tgp wrote:the choke has a green circle around it.. only difference is the one on your bike wont have the green circle around it!

By the way, thanks for the pic! Naturally, the circle is green. :mrgreen:
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

No problem river, just lift that UP like Inda said and it should stay in place, then let her warm up a bit and push the choke back down. Always green, grave digger/kawasaki geen!!! Don't mind the other parts of that photo as the carb is partially taken apart from the reed cage there. hopefully cyclepedia wont sue me for posting that picture.
Fieldie
Supporting Member

Post by Fieldie »

Wow, here I am in Aus having the same drama at the same time. I bought my bike of ebay and hadn't started it since collecting via a mate who was 2 hours closer to the seller than I was.
My kick start hits the foot peg too. When you have sorted the starting issue, this much travel will be plenty...
Yesterday the first thing I did was check I had fuel flow. (I was turning the fuel tap the wrong way. Sorted now!)
Then I double-checked that I had spark. Took the spark plug out and reattached the lead to the top. (it's really important to make sure the fuel tap is turned off for this bit!!!) Hold the thread of the plug against the outside of the exhaust expansion chamber. Since the plug wasn't in, there was low compression so could kick it over by hand. Spark was good (a new spark plug for $5 is cheap insurance)
I then removed the hose clamp around the rubber boot between the carby and air box to get better air flow (I had cleaned the air filters a couple of weeks prior). With that open, I squirted some starting fluid as a last resort. With my six year old son crossing all his fingers, arms & legs for luck I gave her a kick and she started briefly. :razz: I sprayed for another second or two and kicked again. She sprang to life and stayed running as long as i kept the revs up. Wooooo-hooooo!!!! :partyman: I gave both of my kids a quick dinky around the block then put her back in the shed.

I know the starting fluid may not be great for a 2 stroke engine but I had it at hand and it worked when used with caution. A spray bottle with a mix of petrol & 2 stroke oil should probably do the trick!

I hope this helps you out!!!!!

I saw the choke pictured on my bike but mine springs straight back down when I let it go. I will try it again but is there any trick to it?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

For the record... most all KDX kickstarters hit the peg. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I saw the choke pictured on my bike but mine springs straight back down when I let it go. I will try it again but is there any trick to it?

Pull it a little further, it should "click" into place when fully extended.
Last edited by Julien D on 04:04 pm Feb 08 2010, edited 1 time in total.
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

>|<>QBB<
Fieldie wrote: I saw the choke pictured on my bike but mine springs straight back down when I let it go. I will try it again but is there any trick to it?
Mine was doing the same thing a few months back. Removed the choke assembly and cleaned it and the hole from whence it came with a little fresh gas (not premix) and a lint free rag, squirted a dab of wd-40 on the moving parts and no more issues after reassembly. I've heard (and my next step had this not worked) that if the rubber boot that holds it in place (hence the "click" mentioned in an earlier post) is overly worn.....then a strategically snugged small sip tie at the base of the boot could set things right.
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

My choke was hitting the fuel petcock when I got it. It would not go up far enough to lock in the up pos. I loosened the carb boots and rotated enough to give the choke the room it needed.

My kick starter hits the peg too.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I'm trying to remember a dirt bike I've kicked where it doesn't. :neutral:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:I'm trying to remember a dirt bike I've kicked where it doesn't. :neutral:
Pretty sure it doesn't on my XR650R.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I always lean my 2 strokes over about 45 degrees until fuel flows out the hose. Then choke it and it fires in two kicks.
01 KDX220, 98 KDX220, 09 KX250F, 98 RM125, 99/98/94 KX/KDX/XR200r hybrid, Previous bikes..70 CT70, 71 SL100, 76 CR125 Elsinore, 80 Can Am 250 Qualifier, 89 KX125,
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Pretty sure it doesn't on my XR650R.
Would be curious. Looks like it would in the below pic, but may take a huge stroke to get there. Kickstarters need a stop, and most bikes just use the peg for it by design.

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/d ... 5741/8.jpg
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project