How do you start a KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Would be curious. Looks like it would in the below pic, but may take a huge stroke to get there. Kickstarters need a stop, and most bikes just use the peg for it by design.
Exactly. If the peg isn't stopping the kickstarter at the bottom of it's travel, then the engine case would be. Can you say CRACCKKKKK? ?
river
Supporting Member

Post by river »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:
Pretty sure it doesn't on my XR650R.
Would be curious. Looks like it would in the below pic, but may take a huge stroke to get there. Kickstarters need a stop, and most bikes just use the peg for it by design.

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/d ... 5741/8.jpg
Well, I've only had the XR for a couple months more than the KDX, but my recollection (pre-broken-ankle) is it didn't hit anything, or if it did maybe the stroke was already expended and it wasn't noticeable. Guess the stroke on the KDX must be plenty, but you ain't gonna start no XR650R with a stroke like that :mrgreen:

I wonder if the Fredette kickstarter, or a KX kickstarter, would be better. Mine's pretty loose, I'll be going for one of those. I read somewhere, here I think, that the KX kickstarter is a better move than the Fredette, not sure though.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

. I read somewhere, here I think, that the KX kickstarter is a better move than the Fredette, not sure though.

Not all year kx fit, can't recall which does, you''ll have to search
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

This solved the kick starter lever problem for me:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ght=#77309
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
danfree

Post by danfree »

I have a Fredette kicker and it hits the peg. But I have the oversized IMS(?) pegs. I am rather short, so using a quick stab kick technique has been working great for me. As for your bike not starting, well I had a frustrating time a while back that may be a helpful hint for you. I spent the better part of an hour trying to kick it and kick it. I literally got winded from it. I kept tilting the bike one way and then the other and hearing gas slosh around in the tank, but no way was it going to start. I flipped the tank lever to 'reserve' and it started right up. Maybe the fuel level is is lower than you think. Also, if my bike hasn't been started up in a while, say more than a week. I always tilt the bike over enough to get some 'fresh' fuel in the carb. I think that was mentioned before. Tilt it until it 'pees'. Maybe your fuel has gone a bit stale. It would probably be a good idea to drain the tank and start over with some fresh mix. Use some Stabil as well if you ride as infrequently as I do. That is to say, less than 80 miles/ month.
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

Is that in line fuel filter on the right way???
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

>|<>QBB<
KDX4ID wrote:Is that in line fuel filter on the right way???
Yes. Fuel flows from the narrow part of the cone to the big end.
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:For the record... most all KDX kickstarters hit the peg. :wink:
I know after kicking the KX most of the time when I hop on the KDX
I always jamb my foot on the peg starting it.
Don't need a full stroke to start the KDX !
matt forstrom

Post by matt forstrom »

I got a 1993 kdx 200 and if the temp outside is below freezing you can kick my bike all day long with the choke on and it wont fire at all. so I brought it in a heated garage for a couple hours. It started first kick everytime haha. maybe its just me but I think these bikes are just really cold blooded. starts like a brand new bike when its not winter outside haha. hope this helps.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

If your bike is jetted perfect for warm weather this will always be the case as it's now lean when cold. One warning to heed when jetting your bike...especially when just baseling jetting off someone elses info without really knowing what you're doing (not saying you don't, but making a generalization). The factory jetting is rich so it will never be lean in the 'leanest' of conditions....IE 0deg at sea level....To ensure no one blows a motor due to factory carburation.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

I'm in the same boat as river& fieldie. Just bought the bike a month ago and only rode it a bit just before buying it. Can't wait for the spring thaw. I've been starting it every weekend just to mess with it and to drive my neighbors crazy!
This weekend it is supposed to hit the 40's and I'm toyin with the idea of looking for some mud!

EDIT: Just read fuzzy's post. Any reason i shouldn't ride a kdx 200 when its 40 degrees out? I've never made any adjustments to the bike?
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Read up on jetting on here. You'll know a 'lean bog' when you hear it, and this is bad....You need to richen up. If you can't make your bike lean bog then you're probably OK. Of course this really has no bearing on wide open throttle. Read up on 'plug chop' and go do one. If your plus has any hint of color to it you're good. 40deg isn't bad, and most who are jetted for 60ish will be fine. 20deg is a different story. I just read that you're stock...so you're probably good in ALL conditions. That being said you're giving up throttle response/power/possibly plug fouling by not jetting for your conditions.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I don't think I've ever heard a lean bog yet

But I can sure hear when it's detonating
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, detonation not good on a 2T. Easy enough to create a lean bog in the pilot circuit if you want to experience it :mrgreen: I actually like to tune down until I get a lean bog, then back it off, and run slightly fat on the main.