Rear shock...I need way too much preload.

Got questions? We got answers....
irish72

Rear shock...I need way too much preload.

Post by irish72 »

Good Morning,

I am new to this forum and relatively new to the KDX. . I recently purchased a 1996 KDX that was properly moded. My problem is that inorder to get the rear sag right I have to crank the preload down almost 3/4 of the available threads. This makes for a harsh ride. In the past I would just jump up to a higher spring rate, but according to the rate calculators at 205 with gear I should be fine on the 5.0 stock spring. There are no signs of leaks from the shock. Any ideas?

Thank you for your time in advance.

GR
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I thought the 5.0 spring was only good to 175lbs.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

On Jeff Fredette's web site he recommneds 5.0 for 180-210 lbs. I'm guessing this is for a rider with gear.

http://www.shopfrpoffroad.com/aboutus.htm
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

spring could be wore out too
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I also wonder if there is any nitrogen left in your shock.
Last edited by Colorado Mike on 11:09 am Feb 06 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
jth

Post by jth »

I had a somewhat similar problem. When I got the sag correct (preload really cranked down) it rode harsh and very low (high) into the travel. I could bottom it out very easily. Spoke to Jeff Fredette about stiffer spring, he sead “no, something else is wrong, rebuild it and try again”. When I got it apart the oil was black as tar, smelt burnt, and was full of air bubbles like it was carbonated (like 7up). I cleaned it up, new 7.5w oil, nitrogen to 145psi, and installed a spring thrust washer. Now it works GREAT very plush of the bottom yet stays up in the travel and rarely bottoms (in the woods). Stock spring @ 3.5” sag, comp clicker all the way out, rebound @ 20 clicks.

The bad news. This setup really exaggerates the wimpyness of the forks. 4” of sag lessened that somewhat, new forks sounds like the way to go.

Rebuild it and try again.
irish72

Post by irish72 »

thanks guys! I think it is time for a rebuild. I will start there first. I did weigh myself with gear including camelback this weekend and I am closer to 220lbs. I never realized how much my gear weighed! I will let everyone know how it comes out.

thanks,

GR